Uneven udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I have a FF who is 5 days fresh, first 24hrs she had quite a bit of edema and I noticed one side was more "lumpy" feeling. That has passed and milk and udder are normal but one side is producing a LOT more milk and making her extremely uneven. Her pretty udder looks ridiculous. The medial is skewed because of the difference. The smaller side is nice and pliable and milks down good, but empties in about half the time as the other. I can send in a milk sample tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should do something in the mean time. I'm so mad as her udder is really nice and we are doing appraisals this year in June, so if I can fix it... :help

I wanted to add that prior to kidding her udder was large, full and symmetrical.

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I had one last year, I give lysignin shots, and sent in a sample, and treated her anyway, to no avail. Tormented Kaye with questions. she did have a pea sized Lump in her teat. I also moved out pen mates and checked her for self sucking. nothing! The only reason I kept her this year is she milked a ton out of the one side, and the children (5yr) and younger can easily milk her. She freshend this year with a Perfect udder, of course she's not far into the lactation yet not even a week, but I'm tickled.

3. Halo-M Nubians

Nooo! Well I hate to pump her full of stuff if its not needed. Can this be caused by something other than sub clinical staph? Yeah, her production is great on the one side-so annoying!

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well it was in Our case but I assumed Staff Mastitis and treated as such even though no germs showed up, I think I used treatments of Lysignin on her, and bioxin? Whatever Kaye told me to do with her. lol! things happen, bruises, bee stings etc. Nothing worked last year, I didn't expect her eveness this year. She "may" have bumped herself off the for sale list.

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have a fourth freshener that was even until last year...now she is uneven and makes about twice as much milk on one side as the other. However she is CAE positive...maybe that's why. Her udder is getting more and more meaty/hard every year too. Have you tested this doe for CAE?

I had one FF last year that was crooked before she kidded, but when she freshened it evened out. One of those things where you just never know...

6. Halo-M Nubians

She is CAE negative. She actually looked more even this morning when I milked. Is is possible for them to have more edema on one side than the other and it is taking one side longer to catch up on production? Or is that just wishful thinking.

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's alway wishful thinking and we know it :)

Send in the milksamples, clearly marking the two tubes for each side. Although you may not be able to get her even for this year, and don't think for a second you will fill a light side so a judge or appraisal won't be able to tell :) but you could clear her of this, drycow her with Pirsue and have her even next year.

PM me. vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and remember our pm's are most generally issuing an error statement but are going thru. It is very irritating tho, and we are working on it.