underweight and very dry skin.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, May 12, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I am talking about Molly of course.
    My 13 year old that has been calcium deficient.
    I have been giving her the cmpk with sweetener in it but it is only 10 % so I added some 45% liquid cmpk to the bottle to use up what I had in stock.
    She is finally eating oats.
    She also gets 15 cc redcell twice a day.
    And a little probios paste to keep her balanced.
    She is slowly improving.
    The Vet didn't expect her to improve at all as he didn't think she was low enough on anything to be that bad off.
    He suspected she might have cancer for that reason.

I need to get weight on her and I am sure as her apitite increases she will do that but her skin is very dry and flakey from poor nutrition I am sure.
    Will putting oil on her food help and if so which oil and how much.
    I will try just a few drops at first because I don't want to put her off feed again.

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

What about a bit of ground or stabilized flax seed? My goats love it and it is high in good fats and calories. Small amounts at first though. None of mine have gotten runny from it.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BOSS or sunflower oil not my goats love oil on their food right now am trying peanut oil

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

In the late stages of pregnancy my FF got really flakey dry skin, I tried BOSS and it began to clear up quite nicely. Now she is 98% better. Still working on it. :)

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat All that and brushing. Get you a nice, long toothed curry comb and start brushing. You will be amazed at how quick those oils get to her coat and shine her up!
    But then we'll want pictures.. :biggrin

6. Corky

Corky New Member

My problem is I had to take everything but oats out of her diet as she would not eat any of them especially boss.

This same thing happened last time she freshened and I introdused a new grain back to her very carefully.
    I had to sneak it back in.
    I will try boss as a treat and if she ever starts taking it from my hand I will put a little in with the oats.
    Meantime I thought there might be a kind of oil made from something goats really like.
    She has a hard time keeping her temp up but the past few days it has gotten really cold at night and her timp was 102 in the morning.
    Thats how I know my program is working with her.
    Also he kid does not want a morning bottle so I know she is starting to make milk again.

If I get a day when it is sunny and not windy and at least 80 I was thinking of bathing her with clorhexiderm. Wouldn't that help?
    I would have to use really warm water so her temp stayed up.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't bath her until really really warm just brush and brush also I use skin so soft sprayed on and then brush as it keeps the flies off them too. but try some peanut oil or sunflower oil as my goats went crazy over the peanut oil this week

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I will try the peanut oil and I have skin so soft too.
    Thanks.

I know when I get her eating fatty foods again she will clear up but she looks aweful right now.

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Beet pulp will help with weight. They make a horse product "cool calories" that is a powdered fat that you top dress with. Smells like apples.

Patty

10. Corky

Corky New Member

Vicki,
    You said something on another thread about her not being able to handle high fats right now.
    Or maybe I dreamed it.... but..... if I find this apple flavored high fat food could I feed it to her safely?

She is up to eating 1 and 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup steamed barley in it now, twice a day. A major improvement for her.

I am thinking the next step might need to be bo-se and a copper bolis. What do you think?

She is skin and bones but shiney. Her formerly black hair is now very red but that may just be the lack of proper nutrition.
    That is the case of the very dry skin too I think.

I don't think she has cancer because she is improving and eating hay, alfalfa pellets and browse just fine and she is now eating grain too so I see MUCH improvement in her.

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would copper bolus and bo-se for sure. Also some b vitamins will not hurt to boost her immune system also.

Patty

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry I would not let her nurse the kid. I would also not be giving her oil in this rumen, you will smoother rumen bacteria. She likely won't eat boss or whole oats because it hurts her teeth and gums, what are left of them.

Try oats that are already a meal, warm soaked beet pulp, soaked alfalfa pellets, perhaps a warm mash fed several times a day, only as much as she will eat since it will mold quickly. Senior horse feeds.

13 is old for even the best cared for goat and when they start going down hill you know in your heart it's time to let go.

It's highly unlikely you will be able to reverse all of this, with her skinny now, she has used up her body reserves. The end result is that an organ will fail or she in this weakend state will pick up a bug that she won't be able to get over.

You know my feelings on this subject, like us, I wish humans were able to just see death for what it is and let go. I don't see this type of thread as a good thing, different if she was 3 instead of 13. Sorry. Vicki

13. Corky

Corky New Member

Thanks all of you for your input.
    I do understand where you are comming from. But....

Yes, Molly is old.
    I am not raising goats for a profit so the fact that I am keeping her is not an issue.
    She IS getting better.
    She is eating whole oats and rolled barley now.
    I can see the point of switching her to crimped oats though.
    She will not eat senior horse feed. I bought it for her.
    I have not tried beet pulp. I will see if one of my other goat Friends in this area has some I can try.

She is happy except for the fact that because of her age she is at the bottom of the pecking order when she was the boss before this year, and runs when one of the other goats get near her. Unless it is her older DD, and she also pushes her around.

If she gets something that she can't fight I will put her down.
    Until then she has the run of the place for as long as she is here and I will do everything I can to keep her comfortable.
    She has earned it.

14. Corky

Corky New Member

Tried the warm mash.
    She said uh...NO!

So I offered it to the others. They said...uh....NO! :sigh
    I put it on the compost pile for the coons and possums. :lol

I am headed out to a Friends house that has beet pulp for me because her goats won't tough it.
    It's worth a try.
    I will get some grimped oats while I am out. If she won't eat them I can always mix it in with the whole oats for the rest of them.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't wet the beet pulp just dry. all my goats love it so hopefully she will too. Oh and my goats won't eat anything that is wet.

16. Corky

Corky New Member

Hummm...well....I have it both ways now.
    I have some beet pulp soaking. I was told to soak it for 24 hours.

I also have some shreadded cardboard AKA beet pulp that is dry so I will try both ways.

Molly is eating oats well and I got krimped oats by mistake today.
    Was supposed to be rolled oats but she loves the krimped oats so I will go with that.

I am going to put just a tiny bit of beet pulp on her oats and barley and see how it goes. She is very picky and I don't want to upset the apple cart at this point.

17. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Corky,
    I'm not feeding it now, but I used to feed the beet pulp dry. Cinnamon loved it so much I referred to it as "goat candy." :) I bet she likes it.
    Kathy

18. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have used a product called Arm & Hammer Megalac Rumen By-Pass Fat with success in an old doe but not 13 old. So I am not sure. I would just try to keep doing what you are doing and keep her comfortable I don't think at this point I would keep trying to add stuff to her especially no oils. I hope she likes the beet pulp as it would do her some good.

Autumn

19. Corky

Corky New Member

I tried both dry and soaked beet pulp.

She would not tough the dry but she ate the soaked out of my hand.

When I put it on her food she would not eat it but that was the evening feed and sometimes my goats just won't eat grain after they have been in the pasture and woods all afternoon.
    They are just not hungry.

I am going to keep up the oats with a small amt of barley and offer her the beet pulp out of my hand as a treat.

20. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Sometimes you need to offer it day after day and then all of the sudden they like it . I have added applesauce to soaked beat pulp to get them to eat it . Or even flavored oatmeal.

Patty