Umbilical site hernia?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Linda Carney, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Went out to feed the bucklings this morning, they are now more than two months old. I noticed one of the boys looked like he was walking around with his penis unsheathed. Looked like it could be a problem so I took a better look at it. It looks like the umbilical dried cord had been pulled and there is a piece the size of a cherry tomatoe hanging out, it is dry, still reddish and probably happened last night or during the dark hours.

What do I do? My inclination is to put aloe on it and try to pop it back through the little hole. Is what I am seeing just the iside of the umbilicus? There is no blood, he does not seem to be in pain. Please help me know what to do.....

Linda

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Usually a hernia is under the skin...through the intestinal wall. This sounds like the umbilical stump.
    Put Iodine on it to keep from getting infected and keep a check on it.
    Kaye

3. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

How common is it to have the umbilical stump pulled out like this? Not life threatening unless an infection would be present? Is it mostly a cosmetic problem and can it be tied off later?

Thanks for your response.
    Linda

4. Dusty

Dusty Member

anybody have an answer for the last question? I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same thing with two kids born this morning.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have no clue as to how common but to keep from happening again pinch off those cords so mom or nothing can have easy handles to pull on . the iodine will dry up the stump same as the orgininal cord.