Uh, did I way over pay or am I out of touch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by swgoats, Sep 26, 2013.

1. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I'm taking 4 doelings to the National Goat Expo tomorrow, and I just got back from running them up to the vet for their health certificate since it is out of state. They called checking temp, listening with a stethoscope and feeling lymph nodes as an exam and charged me $50 a goat, so $200 total. I was shell shocked. I brought a whole herd of goats to IN when I moved here and didn't pay that much for the health certificate. Surely those of you that show are not paying that? It's a large animal vet and very convenient - 10 min away - and does emergency care, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to try somewhere else. When I got my horses Coggins, it was $50 each which I thought was a little high, but $50 each goat to write a health certificate for a show? My husband said I should have said something... Am I right that that is a crazy price or was I just lucky in Texas?

Hopefully it will be positive exposure for my herd and get me some deposits for next year... On a high note, the vet and the tech both raved on how soft my doelings are. They said they never see goats with such silky soft fur. I'm not shaving them. They are going natural, but they are pretty slick anyway. :)

2. Necie@Lunamojo

Necie@Lunamojo Active Member

OH MY! I've never taken mine for health certs, but asked the assistant once how much it cost. She said she thought it was $25. The vet writes them all up on one sheet, so doesn't matter how many. Another gal that I know that did take hers there, said they charged her $12 for all of them. $200? Crazy!

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

That's how they charged in Texas by the sheet. When I had to go to two sheets, I think it was a little more. Gosh, lesson learned, always ask up front what it's going to cost!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. fmg

fmg New Member

Yep, that's a lot! I paid about $45 for a group health certificate to go to Utah State Fair, which I didn't end up needing anyway; they didn't bother to look at it.

5. swgoats

swgoats New Member

All they checked on mine was the date. It was fun, although more Mini people need to go. I brought 4 doelings, one other farm came and collected minis from other farms to show in order to make sanctions. If she had done that, there wouldn't have been much show. Got a leg on a doeling - first gen out of my Nubian doe by Pruittville Czar Nicholas. I was pleased cause had no idea if any judge would take notice of a 1st gen. Showing is weird though, three different judges, three different placings. It was more helpful just to see other minis and think more about type and breed standards. But it was convenient for me, cause I made it there and back in one day and didn't need to even house my goats there. I will probably go again if they keep it there.

6. fmg

fmg New Member

Yeah, I sent a buckling as a silent auction kid and kind of a "breed representative" last year. I don't think anything sanctioned last time in the mini show. They need to be better represented in the mid-west states! We just need to convince Eliya that showing is not all that bad, the MN could definitely sanction with her there! :) Would be some real tough competition!

7. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I'm not sure why we can't get people to come. I know they are out there. It hasn't been hard at all to sell minis here, and some people travel quite far. I'm honestly not all that interested in showing, but I felt like I should support our breed and registry. I was thinking what I'd really like to do is be the judge. I'm better suited to that role personality-wise, lol.

8. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal New Member

Was this the large vet in Lebanon?

9. swgoats

swgoats New Member

No, Hendricks Co Animal Hospital near the fairground. It's real close to me, so I've been going there. I will call Lebanon next time!!

10. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

Yikes! My vet only charges $5 per sheet, but their health checks are kind of a joke. All they do is look in the trailer make sure they can't see any signs of soremouth, pinkeye or ringworm and say they are good. They don't even touch the goats. When I bought a couple goats in Washington the vet charged me $50 for the first goat and $15 for the second and they did the whole works, heart rate temp etc.

I hope you had fun at the Goat Expo, I thought about going but opted for the Arkansas State fair next month instead.

11. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Yes, you paid too much, Angie. My vet charges quite a bit, I forget how much, but to me, for what he actually does, it's a lot. I think it's $35 for the health certificate, $22 for the "visit". Like, Beth, the health check is a joke. He looks in the trailer and says ok. On the flip side, he has been at my farm, sees my animals and I do bring in animals when there is a real problem so it's not like he is seeing them for the first time.

12. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Yep - too much for not much effort. :-/ My vet charges $30 per sheet or destination. So for example I just had three goats checked, two going to one location and the third to a different so paid $60 total. By that "logic" if all yours were going to the same place, you should have paid $50 for one health certificate to cover all the does. It may be worth a phone call - never hurts to ask and let them know that what they charged is NOT industry standard. If they want your return business, perhaps they will give you a credit?

My vet did a decent exam, temps, looked thru their hair/checked skin, fecals, heart, checked tattoos, gave them the once over with her hands kind of thing. But as Cindy said - my vets have been out to my place, my goats have been in the office - we have an established relationship so they generally know the condition of my herd.