Udders in First Fresheners

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

What things are likely to improve in a FF's udder, and what things do not improve?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

capacity, teat length, and udder depth are just a few things that come to mind.

By 3mo. into the lactation IF the udder remains intact then you can decide if she's a keeper or a cull. If at freshening there's major faults...it's not going to get better with age.
    Kaye

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Like Kaye said any major fault {Not going to get better}
    off the top of my head, capacity, depth, width, shelves sometimes fill in. fore udders can lengthen rears can fill in more, though I've never seen one raise : ) Teats change they generally get longer, larger. Attachments will worsen or loosen sometimes thats a good thing, teat placement will change a little with the maturing udder. If you freshen a doe with a front pocket who's stepping on her udder, she's a family milk prospect, and not a show doe.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Especially in nubians a fore will improve as the doe herself deapens an matures (it really isn't a fore udder improving, just the appearance because of the deapth). Remember that teats are only 2 points, and never judge your rear udder on your Nubians from anything you see on swiss breeds. Medials change as edema leaves the udder, but of all critiques of animals I do, besides feet, is the none working on medials you see now, weak medials are a bad thing. Breeding in nubian for the rear udder is fine but don't overlook the structure. Vicki