Udder question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, May 11, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Toggy, my FF Toggenburg doe kidded just a few days ago, which I'm sure most all of you know. I am milking her twice a day. I have a question though, because she still seems pretty full after I stop getting milk. The last few milkings I am getting a little under a pint, and she has the baby on her all the time. After I milked this morning, she still seemed pretty tight though. I bump and massage a little, and get a couple more squirts but not much. Is she just holding out on me for that baby, or is there something else I should do? I'm thinking I should try some warm compresses?

She's not lumpy or uneven or anything, just very firm. She was CAE tested negative last fall.

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I did warm compresses and got over a pint out of her, that was about 7 hours after milking, so it definately helped.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep warm compresses and massage I don't bump but know some do. Also yes she will hold out on you for the kids.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Hmmm. That explains my FF not giving hardly anything. Grrr. Oh well. I think I'll be swimming in milk next year. :lol

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

She sounds like she is holding back milk to me. You can add alfalfa pellets to her stand food if you are not feeding her alfalfa pellets already as the alfalfa will increase her milk amount . You might try separating the kid from the doe at night if you are not already doing this as she will be full in am for milking . Some doe's dont produce a lot of milk as a ff and some of the stuff you feel is udder tissue but my doe's produce more milk the 2nd. freshening.

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

She is getting alfalfa pellets. I plan to start taking the baby off at night, but waiting until she's about 2 weeks old first. I've been doing the warm compresses, and tonight she gave me about 3/4 of a quart. I consider that pretty good with the baby on her all the time. Baby has already gained over 2 1/2 lbs (she didn't gain any weight the first couple days). And she is just darling! Really getting spunky and boy is she rotten, she doesn't listen to her mom well. Toggy is getting back what she deserves, she's a rotten goat too. :D

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:rofl Yep she will be bratty like her mama but hey ... everybody needs one in their herd to keep us on our toes ,glad the lil doe is gaining good and glad mama doe is starting to produce more milk ;)