Udder Question - Worried

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My doe, Toggy had some udder congestion when she first freshened, massaging and warm packs helped it after a week or two, but the right side of her udder, the upper part, rear udder, has been kinda bigger than the left. It was soft and just seemed like it was a little lopsided. It wasn't very noticable. I actually meant to post about it, got pictures, but never got around to making a post, didn't seem a big deal. It's been like this for probably 3 weeks. I figured it was just a little uneven there and would work itself out over time with milking.

Well it's suddenly changed tonight, I mean it wasn't at all different than usual this morning and now it's completely different. It's pulled up into a lump so now I'm worried. It's about 2 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide and feels totally different, firm. It's odd how it's shaped long and pretty big. Here are some pictures, doesn't really show the shape of the lump well. This doe is the one that got sick while she was pregnant a few months ago, had a fever. She's eating well and all, but has just never been a beacon of health or anything, so I'm worried. She was born very small I understand, so didn't get a great start.

Here are some pictures, what should I do for her? I'm getting myself all freaked out about CL too. Someone please tell me this is an unlikely CL spot or that CL lumps are always round or something. :help2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Well this morning it is much smaller and softer, about half size. Milk seems normal, Toggy is eating and milking fine. Any thoughts?

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Pull a sterile milk sample and get it cultured.

What is her CAE status?

Sara

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

She was negative last fall, and she was raised on prevention (she's one of coso's babies). I've never done a milk sample. I will try and find some instructions on here.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

LSU is in goatkeeping 101 just call them for the info and sending in the sample, or if you use another lab always ask them for their protocoal.

If it is a walled off cyst like is being treated in the other mastitis thread, use Naxcel. It is about the only thing that will get into the cyst and break down the mastitis. Lots of times you won't have anything come back in the culture until the cyst bursts and then it depends on what was in it as to how bad the mastitis will be as it cirucaltes through and out of the teat.

I would blood test for CL just to be sure, and not use her milk. Vicki

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

We are pretty tight on milk and have several gallons of her milk frozen. We can pastuerize it until we figure out what's going on, right?

7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We had one knot up like that and it was mastitis. We used the naxcel and today and cleared her up.