udder Problems.. Wits end.. But a good Ending : )

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lovenmranch, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. lovenmranch

    lovenmranch New Member

    84
    0
    0
    Hi Everyone,

    I have never had Mastitis in the whole time owning goats. now in the matter of a week.

    I have a doe with gangrene mastitis ( pulled her through it) was able to save the teat and the upper portion of the udder. The area that turned black and Blue is now starting to sloughing off. So I am doctoring her every couple of hours keeping it clean..Temp is finally getting to normal and doe is now eating again. After an arsenal of drugs and antibiotics.

    Now I have another doe. Completely different side of the yard not in the same pen. Never have been together, with udder drama today. Need help on what to do.

    She is 147 today and I noticed that her udder got very large over night. So I had assumed she was going to kid today. Now it is afternoon and didn’t kid yet. But the udder looked to be engorged so I thought that it was just milk and I would milk some of it out.. well I was wrong, when I put her on the statntion to milk her. The udder was not supple but not rock hard. And seemed to be some what pliable when I was massaging it. So went to squish out some milk and nothing came out but a drop of clean liquid. So I washed her up and did a teat dip. And now I am emailing you guys. this doe has an udder the size of a basket ball ( boer cross) I have no Idea what to give her. Or to infuse her with? Since she hasn’t kidded yet. And she is not dry and she is not in milk. I am very confused. My breed date on her is spot on. She was hand bred. So I don’t know what drugs I can give her when she is almost due to kid. I was typing fast so I hope that I have provided enough information for help if not I can give more.

    Please help
    Typing and crying is very difficult : (
    Melissa
     
  2. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    I would lute her and get the kids out, deal with the udder afterward. Get a source of colostrum and milk and raise the kids. If you due date is right you should easily be able to milk her out. I would also vaccinate everyone on the place with covexin 8 I would also think about vaccinating with lysigin, without having staph aureous mastitis you can't have gangrenous mastitis, it takes the one for it to turn into the other. I would also use a feed through tetracycline on the whole herd and start anyone like this doe who is showing symptoms of gas like this with tetracylcline subq and banamine.

    Glad you were able to save this doe. This is a virulant disease, you need to clear up any areas of damp standing water, lime everything, clean the barns or areas they hang out in...the bacteria is everywhere, spread by you walking with your boots from pen to pen, chickens, your dogs, your children, your goats. I would rather be proactive in my approach rather than waiting on a horrid kidding season.

    When she does kid give her oxytocin and milk her out send a sample in for testing. Vicki
     

  3. lovenmranch

    lovenmranch New Member

    84
    0
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    "place with covexin 8 I would also think about vaccinating with lysigin"

    Vickie,

    Thanks for the info. My vet also suggested to switch to the Covexin 8 should I revacinate all the does that I already did with CD/T? also the Lysigin can I vaccinate all the does that are due to kid soon? or do I have to wait til next year? I gave her some Pen because I wasnt sure if I could give tetracylcline subq without her kidding yet?

    Thanks so Much
    Melissa
     
  4. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    Yes I would vaccinate now, and tetracycline is not a problem for pregnancy either subq or the feed through. Just keep them on it until spring, the feed through that is. Perhaps you could nip this all in the bud.

    And this could all progress into nothing, so weigh your options. Just don't use drinking water neomycin, they simply drink less and less water, nothing you want just fresh does doing.

    Are you really wet there? Vicki
     
  5. lovenmranch

    lovenmranch New Member

    84
    0
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    We had a huge amount of rain. and my kidding pens are under trees so it doesnt get a lot of sun. it was "swampy" for a really long time out in the run out area. the houses were dry..It does seems to be drying out but we are due for more rain and snow again today. I scrape clean my pens each day and give new bedding when I see that it is moist. however when it was wet I did the best I could and started seeing problems after all that mud and wet. I am guessing this is what is what possibly started it.. I have never had any doe's get mastitis and now I have two.. so weird. The hubby is bringing home lime today and I told him also to get some dry stall and ceder rest so maybe get is dryed up again after this storm come through. I am ordering the Lysigin today do I give the whole 5ml does or do we half it for goats? I will start this weekend giving it to all my does, is it ok to give it they are only a week away from kidding? or is it better to give closer to the 30 day mark?

    Thanks
    Melissa
     
  6. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    Just like CD&T you want to give it and give it again in 21 days. It makes no difference what part of pregnancy you give this. Next year give it to your virgin does you are keeping, and then all your does milking only need it as a booster shot prekidding. After the intial shot and shot again 21 days later, I only give boosters to my older does who supply my herd with colostrum. And yes I have always used the 5cc, it's what I was taught. Vicki
     
  7. lovenmranch

    lovenmranch New Member

    84
    0
    0
    Re: udder Problems.. Wits end : (

    Just an update..

    Had some "Today" Overnighted. and infused one teat three days ago. then taped it off.. Then the next day infused a teat and taped it off. so that each night they would have one side to nurse one.. Keep up with the high does of Dex and Oxytet.. and now the mastitis. I cant even tell is there.. I am so very excited. her milk count is up and she is feeling much better. Today is her last Antiobitic shot so we will see how she fairs. thanks again for everyones help.

    I had a question about the kids I pulled off of her.. so I think I will start a new string with that..

    Thanks again everyone
    Melissa
     
  8. MiddleRiver

    MiddleRiver New Member

    343
    0
    0
    I'm so glad she is doing better ! I hope none of my girls put me through this :+)