Udder Problem? More Pics added.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, May 11, 2008.

1. This is Delilah's udder. She's a 2 yr old FF. She has not freshened yet. She's due the 17th if I didn't mess up on due dates.

I felt both sides of her udder. The larger side feels firmer then the other but its not like rock hard. Neither side is hot to the touch. Nor did she act uncomfortable or in pain when I felt both sides.

I have a doe who when she's about 2 days prior to kidding she'll start filling up one side, then the other, then back to the other...just goes back and forth until kidding. Could Delilah be doing that to? Or do you think there's more to this then that?

What should I do?

Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Re: Udder Problem?

How long has it been like this? If it has just been a day I would wait to see if she doesn't start filling the other side as I know a couple does who do one side at a time. As long as it doesn't feel hot or lumpy she should be ok. If you really wanted to you could try to squirt some colostrum out to see if it looks normal. But I would do that as a completely last resort. If you do do that make sure you put iodine or teat dip on it about every day till she freshens.

3. Re: Udder Problem?

It started getting bigger yesterday. And it has gotten a little bigger since the pictures.

4. Re: Udder Problem?

Now this is what it looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I had 1 do this and she was self nursing. Watch her to make sure she isnt doing that. Whenn they get latter in the pregancy some do this as it gets uncomfortable. Also I have some that start with 1 side and then fill the other.

6. tioga13

tioga13 Guest

My first thought was that she is actually self-nursing. Some of mine do that shortly before giving birth (while in labor).

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If that is the case then tape her up

8. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I would almost bet she is just uddering up funny. It sure looks like it to me.

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The swelling around the teat looks like edema. I would start doing warm compresses with a bit of peppermint oil, maybe some fennel oil and a drop of Dawn to keep it in suspension. You may still need to to warm compresses after she freshens.. I had a doe do this last year, it eventually went away and her udder was fine.

10. I haven't seen her self nursing. And I was outside about all day today doing stuff and of course checking on her every time I'd be by the window. lol

Although she has had a big change in her udder. I made the girls go out to the pasture this afternoon while I stripped out their stall. Started that around 4PM. I put the girls in around 9PM because I decided to do spring cleaning of the barn and when I checked her udder it has gotten bigger and tighter. :D I can almost get my fingers around her tail. Her sides are sunken in to. Not abunch, but starting. Thanks for the replies!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

YAY! Looks like babies may be soon! :) At least her one half looks nice... Hopefully she will even out just fine.
    Patina

12. I hope she evens out. Her dam isn't uneven. I'm sure she'll even out. I hope she kids soon. She is the one I'm waiting on. She's a FF and my baby. I hope everything goes smoothly.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would start milking her, I especially dont' like the shelf forming in front of the teat. If she gets any fuller you are going to have a bear of a time even milking her without a machine. Bring her into milk early, get whatever is happening overwith and be done with it. Once in milk run a milk test on each half.

Vicki

14. I just got another photo of her since she got up. I went down and watched from the window. She got up so I decided to have a look and see if anything changed. The above pictures in the post were taken a little before 11PM. These were taken approx midnight. The other side caught up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This...I wasn't able to do that an hour ago.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply Vicki. :D

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Someone else commented privately to me that they will leak on the left side due to the way very heavy does lay. Vicki

16. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I love how high her udder is attached, nice, especially for a nubian (nubians would prefer to keep theirs a little lower than desired!*wink*). It looks alot better now that she is even.

17. Thankyou and yes she does look much better being more even...now if only those teats didn't point so far outward. She's a FF so could that improve? (Teat placement)

18. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Her udder looks deep ,full and ready ! Sometimes the way they stand with a big full udder makes the udder squish between their leg's and distort the real way that their udder is hung.

19. Thanks for replying. Her ligaments are gone. :D