Udder development & ? *pic*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Mar 19, 2008.

1. First, does this look like the start of an udder? (Due dates April22-30 & May 19)
    And secondly, you see the dark areas on her udder? It looks like its dry skin when it comes off. Should I put something on it, if so, what?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would probably scrub it down good and then apply udder balm
    have never had that here tho.

3. What should I use to scrub it?

Thanks!

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I would suggest a washcloth with gentle soap and warm water. More experienced ones might have a better idea.

5. Thanks :D

I planned on using a wash cloth, but wasnt sure if I just use the handsoap...

HEY, can i use the soap I made? Its not made out of goats milk, didn't have any at the time so I just replaced milk with water.... A person from another forum gave me step by step instructions and it turned out great. :D

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I don't see the harm in it, but that is just my opinion and I am not that experienced. Let us know how she does. Don't forget to dry well and like it was suggested, put some udder balm on it afterwards. Hope this helps. :)

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes you can use your homemade soap tho I probably would use dawn dish soap just because it has antibacterial properties. If you have any of that clorodexiderm or what ever it is called that Vicki recommends use that. to clean it and forget the udder balm. PM Kaye or Vicki to get there opinion please

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Chlorhexidine or betadine surgical scrub. That almost looks like a sunburn. Probably staph, since you're in Indiana and not had much sun. :lol
    I would dry the area real well and not put anything on it. There's no raw tissue, keep it that way. I sure wouldn't have wanted to see it about 10 days ago. YUCK.
    Kaye

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep that is it Thanks Kaye!
    don't use the udder balm at all in case there is staph.

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Looks almost like severly chapped skin or maybe frostbite that is healing...I bet it was a doosy at first...hope she gets better and not much udder there but it is starting..

11. Thanks for replying everyone!

Ok Never heard of it, what is Chlorhexidine?

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Chlorhexidine is a chemical antiseptic. [1] It kills (is bactericidal to) both gram-positive and gram-negative microbes

13. Chaty

Chaty New Member

good stuff can get it at jeffers and any other livestock store usually..

14. Thanks!!!! :D
    Can either the betadine surgical scrub or Chlorhexidine be found on Jeffers or livestock stores?

15. Chaty

Chaty New Member

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Chlorhexidine soap is also stocked in most human pharmacies...over the counter. I picked up a bottle at Rite-Aid last time.

17. MBKTown

MBKTown New Member

Yep, got mine at Walgreens

18. Thanks I wish I would have read that post before going in town. Livestock store didn't have what I needed, no surprise there, they never have anything I need. Grr. I'll go see if I can find that soap at the pharmacy tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replies!! :D

19. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

I have a related question. We had our first babies here January 19. The doe came to us bred, though, and still in milk from her last kidding. The buck got into the pen with the does in August, so the breeding was unplanned, and unknown to me (and the original owner) when I bought her. After milking her about a month, I decided to dry her off, since she'd been a first freshener with only one kid, and wasn't producing much milk at that time anyway. My plan was to breed her again at the same time as my other girls (I bought my buck in December). Well, her udder never did go down, and shortly thereafter we realized she was pregnant (as it started getting larger).

So... all that as introduction to my question...

My other two girls (both will be 3rd fresheners - I think) were bred in December, and are due the first week of May. Their pregnancies are the first that I've witnessed from beginning to end. I purchased both of them as already milking does, and so the whole breeding & pregnancy thing is new to me this year. :)

As of Monday this week both were about 100 days bred. I've started little by little increasing their grain and so far everything looks good. I've noticed in recent weeks that both girls' teats have elongated. Not much actual udder yet, but the teats are definitely more noticeable than they were before they were bred.

With 50 days or so to go, how soon should I see an actual udder develop on them? I've been watching, but so far all I see is an increase in the size of the teats... so I know something is going on.

Thanks,
    Kathy