Udder and teat structure

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Caprine Beings, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I am looking for illustrations and references in udder and teat structure. Also appreciate deformations and weakness of specific breeds, excetra. Putting together Pre-kidding packet and this is one section. Thanks Tammy

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Does Fias Co Farm have anything like that? They seem to have everything else. :) Just an idea. Hope you find what you need.

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I would recommend you looking into getting the book "The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat by Nancy Lee Owen" Caprine Supply sells the book and is the best price I have found for a brand new copy. IMO it is a book everyone who wants to judge their herd or even some day become a judge down the road should have.
    Goat Keeping 101 has the ADGA LA booklet, it has mammary information.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. :)

4. Caprine Beings

Alreay have "The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat" and ADGA info. Looking for other material as well. It helps to have more than one resource :biggrin. Anyone got some oddities they can PM me?Tammy

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can see alot on web sites...teats that point out to the leg...teats that come out of the udder on the side of the leg, Shoofly's candycane teats, teats that are really close together with no floor to the udder, really long teats. I even had a doe who had a section to her teat, one teat like a earth worm does...and yes it sort of looked like a penis :) Vicki

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

http://members.psyber.com/macgoats/IndexTHREEmacgoats.htm#TEATS COMPARISONS

About 3/4ths way down the page are some drawings of malformed teats. Yeh, they're boers, but it happens. I don't reall think there are any one fault that are breed specific. It can happen in any breed.

Also a good reference is the LA guide with the teat placement pictures. I think it's in Goats 101.
    Kaye

7. Caprine Beings

Thank you ladies. I came up with a really awesome site that breaks down the structures and their purpose.

www.agnr.umd.edu/dairyknowledge/goat/THE_UDDER.html

Really impressed with this one. I could put together a fill-in for Lindsey and Sherri. Help them identify parts and problems too. Tammy

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Tammy,
    that website was extremely helpful for a newbie goat person like myself. Thanks!