Udder and Grafting Kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lovenmranch, Jan 14, 2008.

1. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I didn't really know how to "title" this post.

I have a Nubian, not the greatest milker but not bad. she has been nursing two large kids. I weaned the boy about two weeks ago and weaned the doeling about two days ago. OK with that being said. I had a doe kid, with triplets and wanted to graft one on to the Nubian. however I went to milk the Nubian and only got about 10oz and it has been about 24hours, which would not be enough for a baby to survive one, Is there anything that I can do to increase milk kinda quickly. I dont want to waste my time grafting this kid on her if its not worth it? She has been on a little grain, and alfalfa pellets. but I would need to get the milk count up by the next few days, in order for it to be successfull.

Thanks for any Ideas.
    Melissa

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the more you milk her the more milk you will get and if you graft a kid on her she will most likely produce more as the kid demands. But you need to increase her alfalfa pellets to at least 3 lbs per day and I would add some beet pulp

3. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

Thanks Sondra, I just did my afternoon milking and got 24 oz so I will add the beet plup and see if that helps she is already on 3lbs a day : )

thanks
    Melissa

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

keep in mind that if you can graft the kid onto her the kid is going to nurse more often in smaller amounts than what you milk so I would go ahead and put the kid on then just suplement the kid with a bottle if needed. weigh the kid at same time everyday for a bit and make sure she is gaining.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

When I sold my Togg herd I had a doe that had just aborted. She had a small udder.
    The lady that bought her said she was going to graft a buckling on her so she would come into milk as she wanted that udder bigger. It was very tiny as she aborted a month early.
    She did it and said the doe did get a pretty good udder on her for a FF.
    There was not enough milk in her to feed a kid at first but the buckling kept at her till she made enough to feed him.
    You need to keep an eye on them if the kid is not an agressive buckling. It needs to be one that is determined to get milk out of there. :lol

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Good luck on grafting a kid on a doe at this age. How do you plan to do this?

I think you will have to put her in a milk stand or restrain her somehow and help the kid nurse by keeping the doe from kicking him off. Like Sondra said, you will need to milk frequently to keep her from drying up. I have seen pictures of a set up where the doe is kept in a head lock in a pen and the kid left to in the pen to nurse when hungry. I don't know how well this works.

If the kid is not getting enough, an extra bottle or two can be given to supplement.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Is this doe a natural nurse goat? It seems to me it would be easier to just milk the doe and bottle feed the baby. It sounds like the doe was weaning her last kid and that's why her production dropped. We have grafted babies, but that's generally when two does have kidded simultaneously and one had a single, the other triplets or when a doe lost her kids and another had three babies. In the first instance, grafting was easy because we smeared the "new" mom's birth fluids on the graftee.

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I guess my goats are different because I have problems with kids stealing milk from the other does.

The lady that bought my herd said that all the kids nursed all the moms.
    She said she had never seen anything like it.

They were all about the same age though and kept in the same nursery pen at my place.