Udder advice please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Jan 9, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I need advice for a friend please. Here is the senerio....

Nubian doe, FF at 1yr 9mo. Kidded on Dec 26th with triplets. Nothing remarkable, easy delivery. The problem is that since she kidded they say one side of her udder is "congested". They have had two breeders (one raises Nubians, the other Alpines) come over and look at her. Owner has been massaging the does udder, teat is soft and she is milking her twice a day. She has been given antibiotic injection (sorry didn't find out which antibiotic she was given) and B12. Owner was told to massage her udder with peppermint oil which she mixed with a small amount of olive oil. Owner has used mastitis kit and is negative. Any suggestions I can pass along?

Tamera

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Test. In goatkeeping101 we have LSU Mastitis clinic up.

Using blotter type cards is just a waste, by the time you have a color change your does udder is likely ruined. CMT is just a tool, use it each monday as you measure amounts of milk in each doe. If you keep this information written down, which does gel, which ones don't, which ones only gel in late lactation, you can find out how a CMT test is ran on your herd on your goats. And sure a CMT that gels with some green slime, sure you have mastitis, but you knew before from her hot udder, high fever and putrid milk.

If a doe is bad enough to go on antibiotics, than it is cheaper to test her first before using the antibiotics. Most use the incorrect drugs that don't go into the udder, or don't use infusions correctly and cause even more bacteria in the udder.

I would also test the doe for CAE myself. Vicki

3. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I know that the doe was tested for CAE about 3 mo's ago and I saw her results and she was negative. They said her udder isn't hot, just hard on one side. I'll go check Goatkeeping 101. I did ask if they had taken her temp and they said no, so I don't know if she's running a fever. Thanks fo your help.

Tamera

4. NubianSoaps.com

She would be dead by now if it is a veriulant form of mastitis, enough for fever etc. It isn't typical congestion if it is in only one side, nor is it edema being only in one side.

Send in the milk sample from both sides, marking the container for each half. Put her on mega doses of vitamin C orally, and start her on some banamine to bring down the swelling in the half, while you wait on results. If it doesn't culture staph, than it's likely an injury which you would have seen blood in the milk, or a defect in her udder.

Is she nursing the kids? Vicki

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

No, she is not nursing, they pulled the kids at birth and have been bottle feeding.

I will contact them right away and tell them to get her started as quickly as possible on the Vit C, banamine and get a milk sample sent off. I know they'll be be glad to get the information.

Tamera

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

all of what Vicki has said but also keep up the massage and warm towel before massage and after massage then milk then the warm compresses again and massage in the oils . and massive doses of Vit C is like 3000 mg initially and 1000 mg every 2 hrs except at night for 3 days then 1000 mg 3 times a day. Don't forget to wash udder and teats before milking and teat dip afterwards. Get those tests done

7. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Great Sondra,
    Thank you for the amounts. I'll give them the directions.

Tamera

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also now mine will eat unflavored Vit C the 500mg one like candy but alot won't so might want to get the flavored ones. Or grind up and mix with water and syringe.

9. What side does she lay on? Alot of times they will carry edema in the side that is not against the ground. Most animal will lay on just one side...so the blood does not pass though both sides at the same rate.

One easy way to see if it is edema...just press your thumb in the harder part of the udder. If you can see where you pressed your thumb in the udder...then its edema not mastisis. The fastest way to get rid of edema is just a small shot of Dexamethazone. Most of the time that will pull the edema out of an udder in a few days.

Ken in MI

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:yeahthat
    Yep, been there, done that. Before I got smart enough to keep the %protein down/limited grain, during dry periods.
    One person had her drys on an 18% protein feed-and lots of it, with all the other stuff added...OH,MY at the edema! Dex for a few days and udders softened. (All CAE NEG.) Next year, she lowered the protein, and amounts and no edema.
    Kaye

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

This is interesting about the % of protein in the feed. I was told it was too much salt in the last few weeks before kidding. :???

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I am very interested in this thread, my does have very congested udders across the board after freshening. No mastitis symptoms ever, no lumps etc. But after kidding, they are all congested for over a week at least. First fresheners stay congested up high in the back of their udders for a long while til it all relaxes and they relax and weeks later you realize their udders are fully empty. But lots of congestion for a while.

13. NubianSoaps.com

Karen, that is old school ;) I was also taught that and took all forms of salt away from the does before they kidded. All the while feeding the highest protein sickly sticky sweet molassased sweet feed we could find!

Oh and of course all alfalfa! Then we exchaned edema for ketosis.

Diane I would bet you will have a much different year this spring with your copper bolusing your does. Vicki

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

15. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Vicki,
    So do you continue minerals with salt through the kidding time? I've pulled salt in the last month for 8 years now, no edema, but some copper and selenium issues until I learned they needed those. Protein has not been high either, mostly coming from the 16% alfalfa pellets... So do you think I've been scared of salt unnecessarily? (Kinda like getting sick after eating at one fast food place as a kid and avoiding that place anyway, even knowing that the problem was actually a contagious stomach virus? :/)

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I think your just scared of salt I never change minerals.

17. NubianSoaps.com

No I don't pull anything anymore. At 100 days bred the girls are backed down considerably from their milkstand grain as they are dried, or put back on small amounts of grain as they reach 100 days if they were dry already. So other than an ever increasing amount of grain so they are on their full grain ration as they kid, alfalfa, minerals everything stay the same for bred does. My grain contians no extra protein for grown does, no molassas, and other than one doe who has been this way since she first freshened, no edema...Mica, always....I blame it on her itty bitty teats :) And she is very much a different bloodline on her dam side, so perhaps this is normal with them? Vicki

18. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Ok, whats the dosage of Dex do you give then for the congestion?
    Ray