Types of grain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by OandA, Jun 8, 2017.

1. OandA

OandA New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to owning goats. So new that I'm on a waiting list and my kids haven't even been born yet but I am trying to find as much info as I can so that I can be prepared as possible when they arrive.
    My question may have been answered here before but I couldn't find it.
    When I read that goats need grain as a supplement when they are hay/pasture fed, what kind of grain do you recommend? Are you talking about BOSS, oats, barley, etc? Or actual feed?
    Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

You can mix your own, but if you're just starting out, its best to go with feed from the feed store made for goats. Once you know what you want, then you can get creative.

3. OandA

OandA New Member

I will be getting Nigerian Dwarf goats from a reputable breeder here in NC. If everything goes as planned they will be rotated in pasture. I have a feed store 5 minutes up the road that sells Chaffhaye that I want to try and then offer supplemental grain or feed. I have read really good things about the Chaffhaye and feel better about offering that since I am starting out new from scratch. I'm in a very rural area and have many options for dry hay but at this point I'm not sure about my confidence level in picking out good quality hay.
    Does anyone on here use Chaffhaye?

4. 3FarmersBrown

3FarmersBrown New Member

Be careful with the Chaffhaye and only a couple of young Nigerian Dwarfs.
    You are supposed to use a bag within so many days of opening it and with the heat and humidity here (I'm in NC too) you have to worry about mold.
    I know some people who use it exclusively but they have a fair number of standards and go through a bag pretty quick.
    I know some people who are scared to death of it.

I have Nigerians myself and we primarily feed coastal Bermuda hay. If it is clean, greenish color, and smells good you should be OK. ND's do quite well on it.
    We supplement our milker's with alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay when we can get it at a reasonable price.
    Where about in NC are you?

5. Shantel Bryan

Shantel Bryan New Member

Check out your copper and selenium levels in the soil it might not be enough for your ND. I live in Florida and my levels are so low that even with the goat grain with supplements I have to supplement more to keep my herd healthy. Just be careful you don't over supplement. It sounds confusing but you can find a map online to let you know about the levels and your goats will let you know. Mine never seemed quite right the coat was rough the tail was called a fish tail with the fur standing out and I could never get weight on them they looked like they were starving even though they were getting more than recommended grain and unlimited browse. It drove me crazy because I didn't know much about goat either at first don't worry you'll learn fast.

6. OandA

OandA New Member

I'm in the Liberty/Staley area. There is a lot of Ag use around where I live, mostly cattle but there are is a well known goat cheese producer about 20 min from us. Where the goats are going is actually being used as a small cattle pasture at this time, about 1 1/2 acres. I'm going to cut the tall grass all of the way down and in the fall throw orchard grass seed out. I've been scoping my options out for local hay. It's funny that you brought up the bermuda hay. I found an ad for someone near the coast selling it trying to get an order up for delivery but being sight unseen I'm leery of buying it.

7. OandA

OandA New Member

I'm definitely going to let them have mineral free choice. Hopefully it will be enough. I've read that they will only consume it when needed. I found a map showing copper levels found in legumes after I read your post. I see that NC has 40%-70% of legumes have copper concentrations of 6-10ppm and Florida has 35% or more have 6ppm or less. I'll try to post the link.
    http://www2.luresext.edu/goats/training/nutrsoil.html

8. Shantel Bryan

Shantel Bryan New Member

Minerals are different they are a general. My goats have free choice. But goats need much more copper and selenium than other animals but it sounds like you have plenty in the ground. It was just something to keep a check on.

9. OandA

OandA New Member

I understand and thanks for the info. In terms of that website's data, I have no idea how that actually translates into proper amounts needed.

10. 3FarmersBrown

3FarmersBrown New Member

I'm pretty sure you can get Bermuda hay in your area. "Coastal" is a variety of Bermuda grass..
    Just try to find a local person that you can get a few bales at the time.
    That well known cheese producer would that be The Goat Lady Dairy? We had our meeting (North Carolina Dairy Goat Breeders Association) at their place a few months back.

11. OandA

OandA New Member

You are correct. Shes got a pretty good small business going on with what she's done.

12. greenTgoats

greenTgoats New Member

What are you getting, bucks, does, wethers?

13. OandA

OandA New Member

I'm getting 2 does. I was originally going to get a doe and wether but with what I want to end up doing I feel that going ahead and getting does is the best.

greenTgoats likes this.