Tylan 200

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatsareus, Apr 25, 2008.

1. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

I just received a 250 ml bottle of Tylan 200 and the exp. date is 12/08. I guess I was surprised the exp date is in 7 months. But the information in GoatKeeping 101 says that is okay? The literature says to keep it at a temp below 72*F. Is refrigeration recommended for this product? Kinda a big bottle for my tiny herd. I am batteling a bacterial pneumonia with several kids and the first one sick, after 9 days, still has tiny wet coughs and a yellow snotty nose. So I was thinking I would switch this 21# wether to Tylan 200, have been using PenG. Any suggestions, please??

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Look in goatkeeping 101 theres a recent article just put there on drug expiration dates.

Ray

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Pennicillin is rarely the drug of choice for anything. In fact while you give pennicillin at to low of dosages and it is not working on the problem it can actually make the animal sicker by killing of bacteria in the intestine and giving your overgrowths of yeasts.

Biomycin or any 200mg tetracycline would have been a better choice, but you can find the dosages for Tylan in the goatkeeping 101 section....drug dosages and their uses from the old saanendoah.com site. Just scan down in the antibiotic section and find Tylan/tylosin Vicki

4. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

I'm meeting a friend for dinner who is going to bring me some LA200, he says that would work better than the Tylan 200. I will start at least one kid on the LA 200 tomorrow, he has had 9 days of PenG. Most of the other kids seem to be asymptomatic at present time.
    Thanks for your responses!

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Just to warn you...LA200 stings like crazy. When they holler...you know why. It is much better for upper respiratory stuff than Tylan. I don't even keep Tylan around anymore.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

3.5cc per 50 pounds and give sub-q, if they have a temp you can give the second shot in 12 hours then move to every 24. Get the drug from your friend, say thank you very much and disregard their dosages. Vicki

7. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

'k

first off, thank you Vicki for the dosage recommendations.

My friend blessedly brought Bio.Mycin 200, so the sting issue was mute. btw, his recommendation was 3 cc's for the 21# wether. I gave this wether 1.5 cc this morning. This kid has been weak from birth and is also the kid with the severe underbite...

DH is out of town so I am on my own until tomorrow night. My plan this morning was to start 2 of the 7 goats I have been treating with PenG, on the Bio-Mycin at 3.5 cc's /50# and evaluate the other 5 according to temperatures and condition of their coughs. I also was trying to get a temp on all other goats. Got 4 taken, two of which were milkers not being treated because they were showing no signs of illness, their temps were 102.2 and 103.3. The other two temps were from a treated milker at 103.3 and one kid at 102.4. On the fifth kid, who was being treated for minor symptons but is a doe out of my best milker, gave a hugh lunge upon the withdrawal of the thermometer, it went flying, broke and I got no reading from her.
    So I am treating 4 kids so far with the Bio-Mycin and will evalutate the other two (doe) kids when I obtain a thermometer. They are not coughing, but none of them cough a lot. I just sit in the barn and listen to the whole herd and try to determine who sounds bad. I am also experimenting with listening to lung sounds with a stethoscope, but need a lot more practice with that.

Beth