two months preg - already FAT?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by menagerie, Feb 18, 2008.

1. menagerie

menagerie New Member

i'm sorry for such a newbie question, but this is my first "start to finish" goat pregnancy... :D

i have a 6 year old la mancha doe. 2 months bred - and she is SO fat? i thought it would take longer... is it possible that she is showing already???

she has had lots of babies. she acts like she is feeling fine. feeding is the same. grain and alfalfla on stand (she is in milk, getting ready to dry her up), free choice minerals/soda/hay.
    it isn't bloat. could this be a sign of a problem i don't know about?

thanks ya'll!

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

No she should not be fat . Check over her back bone and hips..you should be able to feel them easy or even see them without a big layer of fat .

How much milk is she giving ? How much grain are you giving ?

Some does always have big bellies..I have one like this. You would swear she was ready to deliver 5 babies anytime.

Patty

3. susie

susie New Member

Hi!
    Do you mean "fat" or "wide"? My herd queen jasmine starts getting pretty wide about that time-- each year i think it'll be triplets, but no, twins it is.

Susie

4. menagerie

menagerie New Member

oops sorry, let me clarify :lol

she is WIDE. not too much padding on her bones.
    but over the past week or so she has just gotten so wide in the belly?!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Another thing to look for is: Is she like this all day long or just after she eats either hay /pellets or grain

6. menagerie

menagerie New Member

thanks for your help everybody.
    she looks that way all day long. of course, she munches on hay through out the day. but before this, she has never looked so big :?

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I can say this my LaMancha and Mini Munkins show way way before a Nubian in fact I have a hard time telling if the Nubians are even bred until the last month.