Two Does Not Cycling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have two does who I cannot get to cycle, at least that I can tell. They are right next to the boys during the day, so it would be pretty obvious. Both of them have been bred and kidded before with no problems whatsoever. Neither one of them are fat at all. All of my other does are cycling, so it shouldn't be a management problem. They have access to lots of free choice minerals as well as minerals that I top dress in with their food. Any ideas? Am I missing something that is very obvious? :help2
    Thanks!
    Kristin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They are cycling you are just missing it. No way do you have two does with problems...one yes, but not two. Vicki

3. Liberty Alpines

Ok, I will have to watch them closer! Though I'm not sure how I can more than I am!
    Thank you for the advice.
    Kristin

4. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Really, out of 40+ does on our place we have two that had not shown signs of heat. Did a Iowa State Univ. protacol from the vets at the repro dept. and got one to show signs; still working on the other one. So why can't two does have problems? I wish they weren't but they are.
    Tim

5. NubianSoaps.com

If it was you asking the question Tim I would of course have answered much differently. You are not new. You didn't have more than half of your total post count go to questions about your doe kidding today...no she is not, she is in labor now, no she is not, do you think she is bred?...and you don't have a tiny herd of which I think 2 is half the herd. So for you it would be like having 20 of your 40 not cycling.

New folks ask very specific questions, and sure I guess wrong some of the time, but not very often :) This time of year it's heat/breeding (for S&G go to homesteadingtoday.com there is actually two threads in a row one called heat/breeding the other breeding/heat :)

Sorry for the problem with your doe, glad you got one to cycle. Vicki

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Kristin,
    Can you take those 2 does and put them in a separate pen with your buck for about a month? They may be just showing a silent heat, but he will know and probably take care of the breeding. After you take the does out of the pen, wait 26 days and pull blood on them and send it in to Bio-Tracking. Pregnancy tests are $7.50 each. If you need some blood tubes let me know and I'll mail you some. :)

7. Liberty Alpines

Well, out of nine does, it is just these two. And they have always been so vocal in the past. I am not going to put them in with a buck because they are still milking and I am selling the milk. I'll just have to watch them closer.
    Thanks all,
    Kristin

8. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Kristin,
    I would do the pregnancy test or have them ultrasounded. It may be possible for them to be bred, stranger things do happen. If you have a vet that is good at ultrasound they may be able to tell if there is another reason why they are not cycling as well. Good luck.
    Tim

9. ali923

ali923 New Member

How old are the does? I have a couple of does that for the past 2 years have had trouble coming in heat, and if they came in heat they would not settle. They are 9 and 10 yrs old, could that be any reason for them to have trouble?

10. ali923

ali923 New Member

Also, one of the does I have been having trouble getting bred has not come in heat since may, she has gotten so fat from not being bred last year. What should I do, she has been only getting alfalfa pellets and forage. I swore to myself that the older goats that I have been having trouble getting bred would be gotten rid of if they did not settle this year, but one of them has one more grand ch. leg to go and is one of my best does, and the other is a permanent (who hasn't settled since she got her permenant). Last year, I brought one doe in with lute shot that I had trouble with (so I guess I have 3 older does that won't get pregnant) she ended up having a baby whose body was not attached from the waist down and was still born alive-it was tragic. Is all of this because of age, the deformed baby-from the lute shot? Sorry I jsut wrote a story, I probably should have started a new thread.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Shoofly was a doe who was very hard to get bred. She was left dry as a 2 year old with her 3rd owner, when I purchased her. It was the first time I used CIDR/PG600, cysterellon and succesfully got 2 kids out of her. Cird's not only force heat but also ovulation as long as the doe is not cystic, so I used the Cysterellon just in case that was her problem also.

Does bodies wear out long before any of mine have ever stopped having kids. Two of my oldest does 12 and 13 died one put down right after delivery...one about 3 days later, and both were the epitomy of health before delivery. Both had heart related problems afterwards.

Lutelyse is a normal hormone found in the body of all does...it can not cause a birth defect, it can cause heat, it can cause abortion and it can hasten delivery, but that is about it.

Does do get old eggs. Does will show problems like this, including extra teats and parrot mouth as aged does, when having 20 or 30 kids before the age of 10 who were perfectly fine. Vicki

12. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Kristin,
    I'm having an awful time figuring out when Charity is in heat too. Holly and especially Flower are big hussies, but I haven't seen Charity in heat yet. Since you are having the same problem I am just going to blame it on you! :biggrin Something in your water or something like that.

Tiffany