Twins!! Mastitis Question...HELP!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Frosty finally had twins a doeling and buckling. One side of her udder is VERY hard and swollen. When I milked some out it is very thick, maybe chunky. The other teat is more liquid. She does not want me touching the swollen side. I just milked it again and this time first it was thick then a little thinner. Is this Mastitis?? Should I let the kids nurse off of this side?? HELP.
    Tiff

2. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Okay, I have a minute now. I milked out some of the hard side and it is not chunky anymore. Should I milk it all the way out? I'm dam raising the babies so don't want to take their colostrum away from them if I can help it.
    Frosty has been a good mom so far, but she is not too happy about letting them nurse from that side. She keeps kicking them off.

The buckling is very healthy walking around trying to eat. The doeling has stood up a couple of times, but isn't as active as her brother. If I take her to the teat she will eat though.

Any advice would be great!

Tiffany

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would help the doeling nurse and make sure the bucks tummy is full and milk her out completely. She continues to make milk every second so you aren't robbing the kids of milk or colostrum. If you dont' milk that swollen side it will stop producing milk and may become mastitic if she leaks. Always milk out your does when they kid after you see the kids nurse. If you are concerned tube or bottle more colostrum into the kid that you milked out. With a less sore udder she will likely let the kids nurse off each side. Vicki

4. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Okay, thanks Vicki. I milked her out and her udder is still super hard on that side. Her teat is a lot larger on that side too. Is this okay? I called my vet after the kids were born and she was no help at all. Thank you so much for your knowledge!

5. NubianSoaps.com

When did she kid, got a photo? vicki

6. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

She kidded around 1pm this afternoon. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics now.

7. NubianSoaps.com

How long have you had this doe? Is this her first kids? Did you see her when she dried this last year? She may have came to you with previous mastitis. Vicki

8. NubianSoaps.com

Oh that is bad. Keep her milked out 3 or 4 times a day, perhaps a little banamine if you have it, but do keep her empty. Then when she comes into milk at day 3 send it in and see what you have in that side. I wouldn't start treating her other than to keep her milked out and go to wallmart and get a large jar of chewable cheap vitamin C, give her a heaping tablespoon a couple times a day over her grain, mine love that! Do massage the udder, and do warm compresses but don't use anything to harsh on the udder to slough the skin. The best massage going is Vic's vapor rub or metholatum, but them wash it off with a warm wash cloth after you are through milking. Banamine will not only help ease the discomfort it will also bring down the inflamation. If she was older with a larger udder I would thing she or someone else stepped on that side of her teat and udder. Vicki

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would like to suggest Dynamint as you dont have to wash it off and it just sinks in...I got some for my cow when she freshened and it worked Great! I got my at portablemilkers.com I got a sample when I got my milker and this stuff works great and will help with mastitis and edema too...It is great to massage straight into the udder and makes your hands feel great too as I have arthiritis in my fingers and WOW it made them feel good too...Just thought I would add this ...its not to expensive and you can also get it at www.partsdepartmentonline.com too

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thank you all so much for your help. I started Frosty on Naxcel yesterday and this morning her teat is a lot less swollen. The udder is still hard above it, but loads better after just one injection. I have to say it was a lot easier to milk when it was huge! I don't know how I'll milk those tiny teats.

So since the Naxcel worked it was mastitis, right? Will she have mastitis everytime she freshens from now on? Is it common for it to come back? Since the twins are nursing from her are they infected? Do I need to give them anything now?

Thank you,
    Tiffany

11. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Glad that she is doing better !!!
    I would just wait and see as far as if she well get it again.
    I do the two strikes your out if it's a goat that has problems is not one of my pets or worth a lot.
    And I think the kids well be fine.
    Fran

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not necessarily mastitis Tiffany that you will need to have tested to know if mastitis or not.