Tummy problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Apr 24, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Glynnis (FF yearling Nubian, 2 wks fresh) gave me a scare last night. She stood off by herself last night when I fed alfalfa pellets and grain. She was also very docile. She's a dam raised doe who is still a little skittish. Her udder was empty and her kids hungry. I took her temp which was normal (102.4). At the time she had no signs of scours, but was stretching a bit and I didn't hear rumen sounds. Not exactly sure what I was dealing with, I treated her with Norcalciphos, thiamin and C&D antitoxin. I bottle fed the bucklings. This morning, she was cudding when I went out to check on her and ate both her hay and grain. She had diarreah on her butt. Apparantly, she had the same tummy bug as one of another doe's babies had earlier in the week. The baby responded to the pig pump. Do adult goats get e coli? We have been having weird weather here - hot to cold, wet to dry. Yesterday it was sleety much of the day. I'm sure some of this stressed her. I'm glad she's better. Would you folks give any more meds today? Kathie

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

When you use C/D Antitoxin on an adult it does tend to produce loose stool. I'd be leaning more toward the Norcal bringing her around, than the other treatments. I'd continue to treat the doe for at least two more milkings...being careful not to overdose. 30cc SQ 12 hrs. apart.
    Yes, I've had does show me signs of milk fever without the temp dropping. Slack udders is a warning flag around here.
    E Coli in adults is not as serious as it is in kids. They're generally able to handle it without intervention of medications.
    Kaye

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The doe continues to do well and is now back to producing enough milk for her kids. I did as Kaye suggested and gave her two more treatments of calcium. Her berries are back to normal. Kathie