Last week, my 5yo doe Kay died and in great pain. Prior to two weeks ago, Kay has had no known health problems -- just annual CD/T and rabies vaccines, annual BoSE, negative fecals, and a great zest for life, milking, and raising kids. Two weeks ago, she seemed to have a mild case of milk fever. She was dam-raising two bucklings (now 8 wo) and had been producing a fair excess of milk. I had been taking 3#-5# of milk each day. Kay's signs were muscle tremor, particularly noticeable in rear legs, cold ears, off-feed, mild bloat. I treated with Sue Reith's kitchen recipe oral CMPK at two hour intervals, massaged the rumen vigorously to relieve bloat and get her belching, and ceased milking. Her symptoms abated within 36 hours and I continued with twice-a-day oral CMPK. I began milking again after 72 hours, just evening the udder basically. Behaviorally, she seemed backed to good health just not with the excess of milk she had early in her lactation. I assumed the growing kids were taking more milk, hence the diminishment of my share. Then last week, the Wednesday before this last, I noticed that she was laying around the barn while I was cleaning before milking. Not too unusual behavior, sometimes a goat will wander back into the barn while I'm working. At 7:30 PM, she wasn't waiting at the milk room door when it was her turn, and I had to go out in the loafing area to ask her to come in. She got up on the stand and I immediately knew she wasn't well. Slight rumen-side bloating, no interest in food, little milk in the udder. No muscle tremors. The bloat wasn't relieved by massage, so I drenched her with 30 cc of peanut oil. Also gave her a dose of oral CMPK. She reacted violently to both drenchings -- normally something that we easily do. I walked her for 15 minutes with massage breaks and got some belching going. When she came back to the barn and layed down, she began moaning. I dosed her again with 30 cc of oil and gave her 1.5 cc of Banamine SQ. The bloating subsided, she relaxed for about 20 minutes and then began moaning again. More comfortable when standing. Some drooling started. Called the vet. She moaned continually while I finished milking the herd. No temperature (didn't take it though until after I'd given her the Banamine). By 10:30 her respiration was rapid and heaving, muscle tremors, drooling, and I never did feel a rumen contraction. She would restlessly get up and then flop back down. At midnight, I put an emergency call into our vet's office. Coming back from the house, 300 ft from the barn, I could hear her screaming. My vet's partner Mike came by 1 AM (and he would have been my choice, ex Army-reserve medic -- finally got out after two tours in Afghanistan -- obviously good in an emergency). By now, Kay's color is bad, her heart beat is fast and irregular, respiration fast. Temperature is 102. He gave her a narcotic, Butorphenol, which masked her pain until about 3 AM, and thiamine. At that point, we decided to see if she would last until dawn. Mike would call this down to Tufts large animal hospital as an emergency at that time and we'd take her down before rush hour got going. She died shortly before dawn, a bad death. In retrospect, I probably should have asked Mike to put her down before he left at 3:30. We took her body to Tufts for necropsy but haven't heard back anything. I've been beside myself trying to figure this out. A return of milk fever with a vengenance? Should we have done SQ CMPK assuming that a down milker should always be treated for potential milk fever? Poisoning (by what? we've had high winds, did some cherry blow in? We've got no chemicals lying around, no new feedstuffs). And, of course, this lovely black doe was my favorite. Miss her dreadfully. What should I have done differently? Ideas?