trying to reduce herd with children Lol!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

We have a serious hay shortage up north here as well and alfalfa pellets are $13 a 50 lb bag, so in looking over the herd two doelings stick out as sale prospects, one I don't like her elbow its wierdly Loose I've never seen so much flapping , :goat she can almost do the chicken dance. maybe she'll grow out of it? Her dam has a Wonderfull body fine flat bones. the other one her dam has the worst app score in the history of app scores and the funny thing is she the doeling of course is the flashiest doe in the very color I've always wanted, and is better than her dam due to her sires Pruitville and Lonesome doe in his bloodline. Of course both the flashy doeling and her mother are the sweetest calmest nubians to ever walk the earth, they can be bathed and clipped with one hand no lead ropes or gang of goat wrestlers, also the dam is easily milked by all even the youngest child.

So I devise an evil plan,1 breed the doelings + 2 sell them= buy more hay
    the problem is the little flapper doe is my Daughters brown doe, but she won't let her catch her, Every time we are in the pen she cries Mom she doesn't like me. When I notice a good time to approach my daughter on the subject. How about we sell this doeling because she doesn't like you anyhow and doesn't come to you for petting like the others, and buy hay for the rest of the goaties. Can I keep the money she says :D no must go to hay, well "NO you can't sell her because I can catch her and pet her, and she will LEARN :biggrin to like me. :sigh can't argue with that logic. they better have udders! :groan

2. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Unless my daughter paid for the doeling and all her feed/meds/hay, then she would not really have a say in the matter. If this were my situation I would evaluate my herd and decide who needed to go and then I would discuss this with my daughter and tell her why I am choosing to sell each one. But my daughter is 10 with a very high intellect and we have conversation about the farm/herd goals so she would understand where I was coming from.

I know this might sound a bit harsh but as my children (and myself) are now learning, we just can't keep them all. Culling decisions are hard, farm life is hard thats for sure!
    Good luck

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

lol! My daughter's only 6 and I sold both of her brown doelings Last year. and ate the third. I Promiced her I wouldn't sell this years brown doe. If I really wanted to I'd sell her. She's born and Bred on this farm and knows all about culling, when we have chicken pot pie it was clucking yesterday. and she eats goat meat. as for the other doe, I really want my children to Learn to milk goats, and most of my others are way too hard for a beginner to hand milk. It seems cruel to continue selling their favorite animals always and the only doe they can easily milk. and after last year I feel I owe her ; )

4. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Well a promise is a promise =o)

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey I have the same problem culling and don't have any children at home even then they think I'm weird to have goats at all. HA!

6. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

My kids are pretty cool with culling- though the goats they choose to sell aren't always the ones I would sell :D My 8 yo daughter likes goats with, uhmm, attitude? Her choices have been panning out ok so far, though...

The tough ones to cull around are your parents ;) My mother loves the line I have decided to get rid of :lol and my Dad adopted the two ugliest wethers we had this year. My kids are pushovers compared to the adults!

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

My dc are better at culling than I am. I have a hard time actually DOING it, they dont seem to have that problem.