Trying to get feed facts straight

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Aug 1, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I should just stick to posting and reading here, but prior to having enough posts for Off Topic I was going to another forum (mainly to see cute goaty pictures!) I pretty much typed this:

Free Choice Alfalfa Pellets
    FC Minerals - Tech Master
    FC Grass Hay
    On the stand: oats w/ boss

Now am I actually doing free choice alfalfa pellets or measure the amount they need (3lbs per adult goat...) and putting that out for them to eat as the please??!?!??

I have been putting out measured amounts, but not sure I am doing the right amount. I have a full grown Lamancha/Nubian, a 7 almost 8 month old Lamancha, and an almost 2 yr old Mini Mancha. I have a scoop that weighs 3lbs when full of Alfalfa. I put out one scoop divided into 3 small tubs (don't have my long feeder yet) twice a day. So after I milk I put out a scoop in the morning. And in the evening I put a scoop out around 5 (2 hours prior to milking)

Is this right, wrong, what??? What do I need to do to fix this???

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

This is just my opinion, but I think I would increase the alfalfa pellets just a little. The reason is that you want to make sure that the 7 month old lamancha is getting plenty so that she can grow especially if you plan to breed her this year. Now, I am not sure how much the mini needs. If she is like mine then she gets fat on air but I still put out enough alfalfa pellets so that I know that my full size nubians are getting plenty of alfalfa.
    Hope this helps.
    Theresa

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

so your saying that for 3 does your putting out 6 lbs of alfalfa pellets daily?? Not enough in my opinion.

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

That was what I was doing the first day, then noticed they finished them off..so I added an extra half scoop each feeding...making it like 4 and a half pounds (give or take) twice a day so 9lbs. Is this to much, still not enough?? They leave a little in the morning (before with 3 lbs they would finish it all up and keep hollering, so I gave in...figured it wasn't enough, but didn't want to over feed), but it is empty by evening. Is it possible to overfeed the pellets? Could I put out 3 scoops (I have 3 tubs I put it in until I get my feeder built) in the am and that be enough for the day or is it good to split into 2 feedings?

Sarah

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I believe the guideline is 3#/head/day. Maybe less for youngstock but at least 3 lb for milkers.

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I know for the large goats it is...so I have one fullsize fullgrown doe. 1 growing fullsize doeling and 1 mini doe. So I guess knowing the 3#/day thing for the 2 fullsizers, but what about the mini...any guidelines on what a mini eats? I assume they are like mini horses and get fat just thinking about food!!

7. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Lynn and LeeAnne help....y'all have full and mini Lamancha's...do you free choice alfalfa pellets or measure...and how much when you have a growing big girl, a big girl, and a mini?!?!

Thanks,
    Sarah

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I have one mini mancha doe who milks as much as my full sized La Manchas (8-10 pounds/ day) & is hard to keep weight on. She eats alsmost as much as them too. My Nigerian Dwarf goats need considerably less (although they all say otherwise & would gladly eat themselves to death)

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

My milkers get free choice alfalfa pellets, but their grain is measured & given on the stand

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not Lynn or LeeAnne but every one here and I have full sized and mini LaMancha /Nubians and also ND and EVERYONE gets at least 3 lbs per goat or if I have the money they get FREE CHOICE meaning I put out a 50lb bag and they eat as they please this is for alfalfa pellets only. The grain is given on the stand only when milking. and as for the babies they are give grain measured daily but free choice alfalfa pellets.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

ok alfalfa...

I feed a MINIMUM of 3lbs a day per full size milker and growing doeling and pregnant doe...

NOW minis...

Sondra I believe feeds all her MM 3# alfalfa/day

I had been feeding them with my full size, but I discovered SOME MM CAN become *overconditioned* on alfalfa pellets... these tend for me to be the higher generations, milking less, more ND in appearance milking lower #'s...

So I am separating out my herd still working on how to do this...

These MM would keep their head in the alfalfa feeder all day if I let them...

I asked before and for full size I was assured you can not overfeed alfalfa pellets... so if you can AFFORD to feed 4-5#/day to bred does/milkers it is fine.

Ginger and Stella will do best on no less than 3# a day... if they were here I would offer up to 5#each a day if they were eating it...

about your MM though it just depends on the goat.... remind me

how old?
    in milk?
    bred?

If older than 1 and NOT in milk... *I* would feed her 2-3#/day depending on her body condition...

12. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Thanks Sondra (didn't know you had both, just knew for sure Lynn and LeeAnne had both!)

Lily is a year and a half, in milk, not bred, but will be in about a month or so. I was putting Lily in a small pen by herself and giving Ginger and Daisy/Stella more, but I noticed she would just spill the tub not being with them, so I cut back a small amount (worried about overfeeding) I will up the amount.

Any suggestions to the put the alfalfa pellets out in the am measured out for full days worth or split twice a day. I think split works since I am having to feed them in a tub on the ground, less waste if there is less in there and somebody dumps it or poos in it.

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

we feed 2x a day...

though when we near kidding I tweak it so the bulk of their feeding occurs in the evening....

It is so hard to say Sarah without seeing your mm...

My 1st gen who milks 8+lbs a day... needs 3+lbs/day....

My 4th gen who milks 4# does not need more than 3# and 2# might be good...

and the other who is currently dry.... needs very little.... maybe 1#

14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I feed once daily in the evenings. They usually have some left in the am and finish those off during the day. This is just what works for me because I have to work and have more time in the pm.

Could you put the feed bowl on the outside of the pen? I use those black feed bowls for my babies and it works if I put them outside the pen and they have to put their heads through to eat. My pens are cattle pannels so it works. Even the feeders for my adults are on the outside of the cattle pannels and they are able to put their heads through. This saves on food getting spilt. I do occassionally find goat berries in the food but not very often.
    Theresa

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have hog panel inside my cattle panels to keep my mini from crawling under! or through (tried a board around bottom, she went to next up to get out) Also if I put them on the outside my horses, donkey, and cows would eat them all!! This is temporary until I get a hanging feeder built. I have the pvc pipe to use just need hubby to have time to cut in half and build it for me!

Sarah

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's why I am going to keep my mini's together and away from the big milkers. Mine are on pasture, grass hay and getting 1 pound each of alfalfa pellets, and some grain on the milkstand, not near enough if you ask them. They look wonderful. They will get more alfalfa pellets as we loose our browse and they are heavy bred. Vicki

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yeh but VICKI has browse, believe Lynn and LeeAnne also have browse I HAVE NO BROWSE at all so they all get as much as I can afford. I also think a doe in milk no matter what breed needs at least 3 lbs just my opinion

18. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I really don't plan on getting additional mini's (well unless Lily has doelings when bred I will keep those), I guess having a mini pen could work...once we get the big pen fenced for goats.

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't have separate pens either

20. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Ok nwe question:
    Owners of minis and fullsize (doesn't have to be lamanchas, but that is what I have) Do you have them together or seperate? If you have them separate cool, what do you feed each (alfalfa wise and grain wise) If you have them together what do you feed and how do you keep the minis from being ginormous and/or the big girls from not getting the amount they need to keep the minis from getting ginormous?!?!