Triplets/ almost a train wreck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Mar 4, 2008.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

We had our first set of triplets Saturday - from Mystery, the doe I posted about a few days ago with the swollen feet. She kidded 4 days early which I am thankful for because she was really struggling to walk and her breathing was extremely labored.

This doe is one I've been watching for possible ketosis/calcium issues. Based on all the good info on DGI I started changing our feeding program about 3 mo ago,although it's still not where it needs to be. The past three kidding seasons we have fed like 'the books say' -not much grain before kidding, then increase and very little if any alfalfa pre-kidding. Started feeding alfalfa pellets about 3 mo ago but go figure the one that needs it the most doesn't eat them well -the other does scarf them up. I also feed some alfalfa hay but I knew I wouldn't have enough to last through milking this year and although the does love it, the quality isn't great. When Mystery started downhill, on Kayes advice I started penning her after her grain feeding to make sure she was eating her share of alfalfa since she won't eat more than a cup of the pellets. She will pick the grain out just to make sure doesn't eat too many.

She went into fast labor Sat morn -mucous came, immediately following by kid #1 -then time stood still -no progress for over an hour -bubble came and then what looked like placenta but I just couldn't tell - lots of pain and yelling but nothing coming out - I finally made myself go in -first time for that too -I was petrified and clueless -only went to my wrist and couldn't identify anything but found 2 hooves,afraid to pull - they didn't feel like the same size - then found a head, it was turned funny, I just cupped my hand around it and guided it toward the hooves, it took her several more good pushes with me gently pulling then finally the kid came and maybe 30 seconds the 3rd kid just blew out with placenta right behind.

I don't know that I did her any good - I hope so, I know now that because she kidded last year without any problems, I should have gone in earlier -almost 3 hours passed between #1 and #2. I do know I would never have even thought about going in if it weren't for this forum and I also would not have had all the meds, etc I need on hand for the after care.

Thank you Kaye for the great after-birth support - I did the uterine flush with biomycin -first time for that also -easy, easy with the right kind of tube. Gave her 30 cc Norcaliphos, just in case -this didn't go well..I ended up shooting part of it out her skin, ran down her leg..don't know how I did that -granted I'm not real good at shots but good grief!! She licked most of it off, hope that was ok for her. Been taking her temp each day -she's eating her grain well and the swelling in her feet started going down right after those kids came.

Anyhow-the best part -2 does, 1 buck - :biggrin
    does - solid black and solid black with white splash on forehead
    buck -solid black with tan/white trim on belly
    Will try to post pics soon -been trying to do this email for a couple days!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yep you just have to go in and help in a timely manor Good job getting them out when you did. We learn as we go.

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Congrats on all going well and healthy babies and momma.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:biggrin CONGRATS on the new babies and you did a Great Save for the doe...I know the first time is the scareiest...been there and this forum sure does help when you need it...again GREAT SAVE and CONGRATS!!

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Now, you've been initiated into the "dark world of a does' interior"...and you got kids and your hand back!!! Won't be near as scary next time.
    "ragging ya'" ...but first time I went in a cow...my demented brain thought..."I sure hope I get my hand back". Too many horror films, I think. :/

Glad everything worked out and you got live kids and doe out of the ordeal.
    Kaye

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

That is just too funny Kaye!!
    Congratulations Ginger on your bravery! It is a scary thing the first time, especially on your own, but you did it!! and two doelings out of the deal.. way to go! :handclap

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Glad to hear everything went well...it's hard to figure out what's what the first few times you have to "go in." The doe is even doing well it sounds like!

8. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Thank you to all of you!! Kaye -that's hilarious -actually when I finally put my hand in there my first thought after thinking I couldn't identify much was - 'what if I pull something that shouldn't come out? how dumb is that??

She is doing so much better now -no heat in those feet -pasterns springing up -gobbles her grain -she's still pretty swollen, she appreciates the prep-h tip, and this morn was the first time she jumped up on the milk stand without help and encouragement...so I think she's on the road to recovery.