Triplet Boers....question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

My FB Boer Tootsie kidded with triplets this morning(Susie, this is the one who was groaning when you were here yesterday :lol). This is her first kidding with triplets(past was always twin bucks) and also the first doelings she has ever given me! Two doelings and one buckling. Of course the keeper doeling will be Shamrock.... ;)
    Question is this:

Between doeling number one and the buckling, she passed a tiny dead kid about as long as my palm is wide. No hair of course but I could just barely make out that it would have been a buckling if it had lived. So she concieved quads, but only carried trips to full term. He wasn't stinky or slurryish or anything at all. I wouldn't have ever known if I hadn't been sitting there behind her while she laboured.
    She did this last year as well. Kidded out twin bucks and a tiny kid like this one(also a buck).
    So, is there something that causes that?? Or is it just something she does? Last year there was no changes in routine. This year we had just moved to our new place when she was bred. So new water, but the same hay and feed......
    I'll be giving her some antibiotics just in case.

2. Congrats to both you & the new mom... triplets... doesn't surprise me at all. she was a WIDE load LOL...
    susie

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Congratulations on the babies. I've seen does have one dead kid, but haven't heard of it being repeated two years. If she was pen bred, there is the chance that the small one was conceived later. My other guess is that she conceives more babies than her body is able to nourish and one doesn't make it. I don't know if you bottle feed Boers, but I never leave three on any does, including when I raised Boers. You might want to think about pulling Shamrock and making her a bottle baby. Kathie

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Congratulations on triplets...and two doelings too! That's great. Pics?

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Thanks! I'll get pics uploaded as soon as I can. :D
    I planned on pulling Shamrock and getting her on the lambar with the dairy kids. I need the buckling to grow off the best he can as he is going to Kansas to be a herdsire. Added advantage, Shamrock will be as tame as her dam. ;)
    Thanks for the thoughts on the sloughed kid.

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sounds like a mummified kid. I've never actually seen it...but have seen pictures and read about it. I think it happens when the doe tries to reabsorb the fetus....correct me if necessary?

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

The tiny thing was all grey......very strange looking at that stage. It looked like it could have gone on to be a goat, calf, dog or rabbit! Except that if you looked really close you could see the tiny cloven hooves. If I had found it laying out in the yard I wouldn't hardly have been able to tell.

Here are the triplets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Future herdsire:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shamrock:

[​IMG]

And Tootsie is proud of herself.

[​IMG]

8. Belle

Belle New Member

Cute kids, glad mom and babies are doing well!