Trimming Goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Can someone direct me - I want to learn to trim my goats. I do not even have a pair of clippers yet and woul dlove suggestions on that also. We do not show (maybe someday), but we do milk and these girls are really hairy. My black one has curly hair it's so long.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My black one has curly hair it's so long...

First comment on this....Purebred Nubians should have short slick hair most of the time...sure a little longer over the flank if they are older and never trimmed or brushed, but longer hair especially if it has tinges of red in your black doe and it's not true auburn hair to the roots, is a sign of copper defficency.

I would start with a pair of Andis Super Plus, the Marroon clippers or their equivilant in strokes per minute etc....look them up in Jeffersequine.com best is to call 1-800-jeffers and ask for their pet, equine and livestock mags....this way when they have deals you get them first.

Shaving a goat is simple, you just go against the way the hair lays. It's pretty late in the year to do a whole body shave if you have cold winters, but you can trim up their udders, belly, back legs and tail. If you leave a fluff on the end of the tail they look better, just square it off with sizzors...sort of like a poodle. Vicki

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

but longer hair especially if it has tinges of red in your black doe and it's not true auburn hair to the roots, is a sign of copper defficency.

You just described my doe to a "T." Now what? Do I give her copper bolus?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What minerals are you using? I always start there. Vicki

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have a goat mineral by Purina....they don't seem to be eating it though?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK go get a very good dairy cattle mineral or horse mineral high in copper and selenium. mayber Cargill Onyx over there or Sweetlix. Purina products just aren't much good. also a list of minerals is in your other thread.
    Then go to saanendoah.com and read up on the copper.