trimming feet?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Is there a really good detailed guild on line?
    Goats feet seem so different than horses, I could trim my horses hoofs without any trouble but with the goats I'm afraid of cutting into something I'm not soppost to.
    Thanks.

2. chewie

chewie New Member

i can't help you but am waiting anxiously for the answer. as we show trimmed our gals tonight, what i thought was a nice hoof job turned out to be a lousy one. i keep trimming them as they were a horse, too much toe for a goat i think. the heel area is really a tricky area for me, as jo said, i am so afraid to cut where i shouldn't!

so i really hope someone answers you!!!

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I know what you mean! Hard hoof is one thing but that heel area just goes against what have always done in my horses before, I feel like I'm going to cut into flesh!!

4. chewie

chewie New Member

yes!!!! its this ball of spongy fleshy stuff, does NOT look something that should be chopped into! i had thought i'd done such a fine job, and then i see not really. argh! and i keep making their hoof-halfs open up alot too, not sure if that's me or they way they are.

yeah, a horse, just watch the angle, grab the nippers and go!

lets hope somebody takes pity and adds some wisdom for us!! i must admit i am happy i'm not alone in my hoof issues!

5. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Someone recently told me about using an angle grinder to trim hooves on a doe who has bad feet- had possibly foundered in the past. I bought one & tried it out & it did an incredible job! It's kind of along the same lines as using a dremel on dog toe nails. None of my does have minded at all, in fact they seem less bothered by it then by the hoof nippers. Northern Tool has an angle grinder for $14.99

6. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

I think I found instructions for trimming at goatwisdom.com, they had pictures which was helpful. My husband does the trimming, he is careful to just take off a bit at a time. A neighbor, veteran goat owner showed him how.

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Pam what kind of blade do you use on the angle grinder?

8. shawhee

shawhee Member

Wow - Angle grinder on goats, I am going to have to try that as well. I am a natural trimmer and trim my horses with an angle grinder. I use a flap disk for the horses, can I use the same on the goats? I dont know if my girls will be as calm as my horses are LOL.

Shawna

9. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I think we have an angle grinder among the mess in my hubby's shop. What kind of disk do I use? I have these sanding barrel things that go on a drill could I use something like that?

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

The one I use is a sanding disc- works wonderfully & is fast! Just use caution that you don't get into the quick. My goats prefer it to the hoof nippers & it does a better job

11. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Is there any problem with controling the speed?

Tamera

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

No, mine is a cheap $14.99 one, no controls on it other then off & on. I just hold it flat & put their hoof on & off, checking it as I go- I don't hold their hoof on it for long as it'd get hot I'm sure.