Trichostrongyles?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I have really only ever wormed with Cydectin. Some Ivomec Plus during pregnancy. Well, it didn't work on a couple of my bucks. Took fecal to vet. Came back Trichostrongyles. I have searched high and low for this word on here. Is there another common name for this worm. I ended up trying Ivomec Plus with horrible results. (learned to never worm an extremely worm filled goat with Ivomec Plus) The other buck is still extremely white in his eyes and not doing well either. Bought Valbazen. Tried it 2 days ago because it had Trichostrongyles written on it twice. Eyes are still white. Am I expecting results too fast? I would rather not learn another lesson the hard way. Please help!!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anemia isn't reveresed by worming. It takes a long time for the goats to build their blood supply back up. Once you worm you have to use a fecal to see if the wormer is getting the worm you are having problems with. If you move to another wormer you have to check again. The liver has to process all this drug, and the Plus in Ivermectin and Valbazen are very hard on dibilitated goats that are anemic. And anemai is not caused by worms that Ivermectin Plus and Valbazen touch. If Valbazen gets the worm you are after than use Synanthic, the same drug without the flukicide in it.

Always ask before you guess.

They need lots of TLC, in our heat here you would likely loose goats with white membranes, they can't regulate their body temps, won't even get out of the barn to drink or eat.

Your worm is the barber pole worm, HC, haemoncous controtus. IF Cydectin has stopped working for you than move to Levamisole...Prohibit Powder...instructions for dilution in goatkeeping 101.

Vicki

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thank you, Vicki!!! I will jump back on the fecal samples. He is still eating, drinking, and the diarrhea is gone. Just thought the pink would come back by 3 wks. Your explanation makes since, and hopefully I am back on the road to recovery.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah in our heat it takes a long time to get them back into shape. Fecaling is just so important in our area, once they get anemia or bottle jaw, they can't be bred, will abort when pregnant or absorb most of the litter, or bucks have no energy and very little semen. Vicki