Treatment of lopsided udder on dry doeling?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rambar Ranch, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I have a yearling doe that didn't catch last year that's developed one side of her udder. The feel is still soft not hard on that side but there is definite size difference. Now I know I shouldn't try to express anything out but what would be the best course of treatment for her? Should I give her an udder infusion of pursue with gentamycin? Include a dosing of naxcel with it or just the udder infusion treatment? Here's a photo of it so you can see the size difference:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x121/rambarranch/102_1837.jpg

Ray

2. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I don't mean to intrude without an answer Ray, but I would also like to know of any suggestions, as I have a dry yearling with a near identical udder as well, just the other side is larger. Pliable and normal in every other way except for the unevenness.

Kelly :)

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

No one has had to deal with this before? I would like to take care of this before she kids in the spring preferable the sooner the better.

Ray

4. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Well, I actually have the same problem, except this doe has freshened but her udder didn't get lopsided until after weaning.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would infuse with Pirsue.

Sara

6. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have one that looks kinda like that too. She's also fat! Is it possible that it could be fat deposit?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Fat or hormonal changes in the udder would be even. I would put a sample in the freezer, or send it in and use Pirsue. I also put them on a course of Naxcel. The only time I use gent with an infusion is when I use tommorrow, then I also use pennicillin and gent systmically also. These would be cleared from the doe before she kids.

If you used Pirsue on time, you would be a fan, it is amazing, and I do both sides. Vicki

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Do you have to have a prescription to get Pirsue? I've never used it.

9. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat

Pirsue has the ability to penetrate the udder wall and get Staph infections. GOOD STUFF!

I just dry treated one yearling and am watching a Feb. Saanen doeling like a hawk! Geez....she has an udder as big as some yearling milkers I've seen! NO, I won't milk her and hope to high heavens it goes away when she's bred! It is perfectly even... :biggrin and quite nice! :lol One moment everythings normal...she comes into heat...Bam, I have a doeling with an udder! :sigh
    Kaye

11. NubianSoaps.com

GE has an udder bigger than most yearlings :) Pirsue keeps it soft :) Vicki

12. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

So having a doeling develope an udder when she comes in heat is normal? or is it just normal for a higher producing animal? This doeling had just had that one side develope but now that she's been in heat she's developing on the other side as well.

ray

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"If you used Pirsue on time, you would be a fan, it is amazing"

Amen to that!

14. NubianSoaps.com

Ray does can have hormonal surges when they have their first heat, and develope a perocious udder. Just like my bucks, as they come into rut they get milk in their teats. vicki

15. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Well this must be the year for udders. I have an unbred dry yearling who has an udder bigger than most milkers. I am scared they are going to throw me out of the State Fair this month.

Jolene

16. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I also find that when a FF doe has 1 kid,the kid sucks one side and this makes for a uneven udder ,so do I need to use the Pirsue in both sides ?

17. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Will pirsue hurt goat kids and does anyone know the withdrawal time for drinking milk?

Thanks, Wendy

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

They won't DQ you for a precosious udder. In fact, the udder on a maiden doe is not even considered. Or shouldn't be. There's no points~at all for a Jr. Doe.

Withdrawal is 72 hrs. And no it won't hurt the kids, if you're referring to colostrum. And it won't hurt the kids if you treat during lacation. BUT, I would'nt give the milk from a doe with mastitus to kids without pasturizing it first. It's actually not a good idea to give mastitus milk to kids at all. YUCK. Calves?~perfectly safe.
    Kaye