Treating bred doe with staph bumps

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Oct 20, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I was at a friend's farm today to milk her does and decided to check on Hyacinth, a yearling La Mancha doe who was bred to kid in January. She's had a precocious udder since summer so I was checking that when I felt that her small udder area along with her abdomen right in front of it are covered in bumps, which feel like staph bumps. I immediately cleaned the area with chlorhexadine. I spoke with my friend who says her DH has Naxcel. Will it hurt Hyacinth's fetuses to treat her with the Naxcel, and would it be safe to give Lysigin while pregnant? I know this is a friend's doe, but I have a vested interest in her. She's out of my doe, Blossom, who I lost this year, and I'm hoping for a doeling from this breeding. Kathie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I haven't ever seen Naxcel do anything for staph dermatitis like that. Is her barn damp? Does she need more bedding? I would boost the does immunity with bo-se maybe monthly for awhile, make sure the gal doesn't use anything harsh that breaks the 'pimples', use some benedryl to see if it's something else, and if this is a problem then use lysigin on the herd. With it being a doe not from her herd, it's either a combo of the doe having poor immunity or stress from the move and no the pregnancy. Most does immunity is so high during pregnancy that nusiance problems like this, or even worms are rarely a problem, so if she has staph now it's either enviornmental or immune system. Unless it is on alot more than just her. Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Though Hyacinth was born at my place, she went to my friend as a bottle fed infant at a few days old. I think the bumps are a combination of being moved to a different pen with different goats (she's rearranged and sold some animals) and environment. An older doe she culled from that pen had bad udder bumps. The shelter is dry, but not bedded. The goats sleep on dirt until it's strawed for the winter. I once had a Boer doe with an udder like Hyacinth's and it resolved itself by kidding. I just don't want to take any chances with Hyacinth. Her dam had an outstanding udder - went BUIS. Hyacinth and her half sister, Cherry Blossom are the only LM doelings Blossom ever produced. So, is it safe to use BoSe on goats in pregnancy? I thought I'd read concerns about that somewhere. Kathie

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes it is safe to use (BoSe)