Trainwreck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tim Pruitt, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well we have had our first trainwreck of the season. Magnolia was overdue and finally went into labor. After making sure she was dialated we had the head and front two feet presented properly. After serveral hours of trying to pull the kid, we finally pushed it back in, brought one foot and the head through and delivered an 8.5 pound doe kid. The kid was dead. :sigh It is now almost midnight, and I am waiting on her to pass her afterbirth or another kid. I hope this is the worst of the season and there are no more trainwrecks ahead.

2. Whitney

Whitney New Member

I'm sorry you lost the kid. I hope the rest of the birth turns out well for you.

3. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Grrr- how frustrating! I am sorry for the loss, Tim.

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Tim,
    If it was hard on momma goat, I would give her something for energy and possibly go in and see if there were any more kids in there.. I would not wait too long if nothing shows...
    Barbara

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Oh me :down......sorry about this troubles. I am glad that you posted to let us know. It lets us newbies get a better understanding that this kinda thing can happen to even someone with as much experience as you have.

Hope your doe is OK....and the rest from here on out is a cake walk.

Whim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Gosh Tim Sorry to hear this, how is everything this morning?

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So sorry you lost the kid..yes please keep tell how everything is this morning?

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

what do you think caused the problem? We had one kidding so far this year where we could NOT get the kid to come out any way other than head and one leg. Try as I might I could not reach teh other leg, in fact the thought ran through my head more than once that maybe the kid didnt HAVE a right front leg because it was so hard to reach and movee! DO you think that perhaps the two legs were from two diff kids?

I am so sorry...this is just...ick.

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

sorry Tim How dissapointing, I am holding my breath this year with all the problems I've been hearing

10. Odeon

Odeon New Member

What a shame! With your doe kid, and Tracy's aborted quads, I hope this isn't a hint of what this kidding season will hold! We had triplets last night (all bucks). From what I am hearing, it it sounding like a buck year to boot!

Sorry for your loss, I hope the doe is doing well.

Ken

11. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Oh, Tim, I'm sorry for the loss. :down

I agree Ken. It's not looking good for us. I lost my best Obie doe to a uterine tear but did get two live kids. No other milkers fresh, and having to milk the jersey every day. At least it's not powdered milk! :sigh

Tracy, when you put in that order for Goldfish...count me in, if one more thing goes wrong!
    Kaye

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We also had Lynn in TX have trainwrecks, dead kids and some deformities. :(

Every kidding we have had so far has needed some degree of help, the worst being the huge (for this line) buck kid that we had to deliver one leg back because none of us simply cold do anything and kid was already breathing half out so it isnt as if we could push it back in...we bought the buck to add size to our LM...but now I am quaking in my boots wondering if we did the right thing. It turned out OK with this one older deepr larger doe...what are we going to see with the FF?!

14. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Tim - so sorry about the doe kid -hope the rest of your night went better.

15. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well, last night was one of desperation. Somebody was going to die and we knew it. The kid was stuck in the doe and if it stayed there - the doe dies. If we get it out, maybe both will live. There was a moment that I actually thought of shooting the doe and cutting out the kid but it was just a passing thought but it shows how desparate I had become. I have never had this thought before. Magnolia is a fabulous doe and probably my favorite.

The kid's head would hang up on the ring of the womb and would not come any further. Finally we pushed the kid all the way back in except for one foot. Got the other front leg in a rear-ward position and brought the head through with one single foot.

Magnolia won't eat today and although she does stand and walk- her back legs don't function right as yet. She has improved since last night though. I gave her some oral calcium but will start her on some CMPK as soon as my wife gets back from town with it. Town is 20 miles away.

I have given her some B Complex and some banamine.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh my goodness!! what a nightmare sure hope she will be OK and snap out of it. If you have prep H it really helps with the swelling and numbs it also.

17. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Tim, so sorry to hear that you lost Magnolia's doe kid. Will be praying hard that Magnolia will recover fully for you. Seems like these things always happen to our best or our favorites!

18. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Okay.. NOW I'm nervous. I feel for you Tim.. I truely do. It's a helpless feeling when you don't know what to do.. and can't do what you know to do.
    I have 5 due to kid starting this weekend.. and they are hugh. I just hope everything goes okay. Three are first fresheners.
    Here's praying you have easier kiddings.. and that you have had your share of trainwrecks.
    And yes.. Magnolia is an awesome doe. Hope she gets to feeling better!!!

Rett

19. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Man, I tell you -- goldfish look better and better every year.

I just heard that Sandy R had a doe need a c-section last night :( 2 dead bucklings.

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, but I wish it would quit! Sorry about the doeling, Tim, but glad you still have the doe.

Now I could use a buck year actually -- have a lot of orders in for them, and I don't want to keep nearly as many doelings as I have in the past. I told everyone that if they wanted to talk me out of a doeling, this is the year to hit me up for one, lol.

Tracy

20. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Oh Tim I am so sorry to read this!

Yep bad yr here too... :( And all my FF to go including a much anticipated kidding AND my best doe....

LA... you just can't know. It is amazing to see what some goats who are SMALL can kid out easily or easily enough... vs what a regular size might have trouble with. I think just like human females... it is hard to tell.

Babee is narrow... you saw her... but she kidded out 9 & 10lb kids last yr with just some *traction*.... Karat a little MM (did you ever see her?) she looked for all the world like a ND... kidded a 9lb buck last yr unattended! Ginger narrow did the same as a FF... yet the one I had to really pull with this yr was an 8lb of of an avg sized 2nd freshner....