training to lead

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, May 29, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I have leashed trained dogs and halther trained horses,lammas and calves but whats the best way to teach a goat to lead? I'm sure I could figure it out but I would like the advice of those that have done it? I put my dogs collar on the Lamancha a few minits ago just to see how she liked the idea, well she wasn't to indigent feeling about it, but then I put it on the Nubian and she acted like I was going to kill her :crazy. So do I go about this like I would any other critter slow and easy or are there any tricks to goats? They are 2 1/2 months old and 1 1/2 months old. Right now they are "yelling" its lunch time so I will be back on here later.
    Thank You.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I keep adjustable nylon collars on mine from about 3 weeks, they have breakaway plastic buckles on them. I actually start mine at birth with either paper collars or the legbands for cattle cut in half.

Anytime I need to move them I use their collar, even around the lambar when everyone jams up on one side. I also play with them and set them up while drinking on the lambar so they get used to being punched down.

I then have training days, in which I put on the spiked training collars for dogs, they are expected to stand still in a show pose, stand still period and lead readily. Obviously the first few times if you have help to poke them in the butt it works better. But soon they get the idea.

Take them away from their friends, and out of their area. It's work time, not play time. Then once back in the barn love on them again. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Need to get one of those spiked collars for Baybee

4. I agree with Vicki, work time is work time. I know with Demi John we also put a large dog harness on him at an early age so he would get used to having things around his belly. He sees his work harness and he comes a runnin' cuz he knows he gets all of our undivided attention, but he does his work. Tammy

5. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thank you all.