Training doe to take bummer kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janner, May 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. janner

janner New Member

Have any of you worldly goat lovers ever heard of a way to train a doe to take bummer kids. I have a doeling that I think would be a good candidate and am considering using a clicker to somehow train our doeling to adopt kids as needed when she is older....any ideas?:biggrin Maybe just a lame idea???? A goat like this would be priceless to a big herd like I am planning to have in a couple years. I am also wondering what breeds you have heard or experienced that have easily adopted kids...
    Thanks,
    Janice

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. fmg

fmg New Member

I have had goats take bum lambs and kids, but only when newly fresh. And it very much depends on the individual doe. I have had does of all 3 breeds that I raise do it. I think of the 3, the Nigerians have been the most motherly...I can't remember a one of them that wouldnt' adopt kids at freshening. A slime graft is the best way to do it that I've found. Some does will also allow nursing on the milkstand of any kids, particularly when they are used to being milked there...even if they won't adopt the kid out in the pen. Some does will absolutely have a fit if you try to let a kid nurse them on the stand.

3. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I had a Lamancha doe take a week old baby. She had a set of still born triplets and he had been rejected by his dam at birth. Most of my does hate the others' kids though. I have gotten a couple of does to at least let an extra kid nurse while she is on the milkstand, but out in the barn, they will pummel a kid that tries to nurse.

4. janner

janner New Member

Thank you both for your input. I think that this is an important subject and I am going to be on the look out for a doe that is known to already take other kids easily.
    Thanks again,
    janice