Train wrecks-you got me scared

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay you goat breeders....you can stop with the train wrecks....you got me scared! I've had babies born dead before, but never any real train wrecks where I had to go in. So I'm keeping all this info in my brain (I hope. I can't rememeber what I did yesterday :sigh) I went to the vet supply today and started picking up a few things and looking around for some others so I could plan my spending well and get what I needed as soon as I could. (Babies due around the 24 or so) Although I have one doe that might go earlier than that. I'm hoping if I have this stuff on hand, then nothing will go wrong :rofl

So from now on out all you goat persons expecting kids out there.....NOTHING'S GOING WRONG.....RIGHT?

Sheryl

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Did you notice if Vet Supply had Di-methox 40% or not? guessing you went down town Weatherford, there on the sq.

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Yes, I went to Bullard's on the square, he's getting better about being more goat knowledgable. I got some more therabloat, it's gone up. After that last scare a few weeks ago, my bottle is almost empty and the other bottle is outdated.

I didn't look to see if he had the dimethox. Although I have bought it there before. I'm sure he probably has it, he was pretty well stocked up on a lot of things.

Sheryl

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I need to get over there and get some but will call first

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

As long as you keep Thera-Bloat in the house unopened it can last for years. No freeze or extreme heat.

Yea, now I TELL you. :sigh
    Kaye

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:rofl well it expired last year according to the label..I think it's a whole bottle...think it's still good?

Sheryl

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've had to go in and assist does in birthing kids, but I wouldn't consider most of these occurances "train wrecks". These were big kids and mom got tired, or breech kids. The babies weren't tangled. The last c section I had was a small doe having a big buckling who came head first, no feet nor room to maneuver to get feet. The one real train wreck where the doe's uterus tore because two large kids came at the same time was a rare occurence. I was told that even though I did not see contractions until the kids were wedged in there, that she had probably been in labor qiite some time, due to the condition of the uterus. That birth did scare me, but I've seen lots of does kid, both at my place and at friends' places and most of the tme, there is no problem.

9. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

You also have to realize that most people don't post about all the easy, problem free births they have. A lot of times people post when something does go wrong to find out what to do, or what could have caused it...I know i posted last week about my doe who had quads because we had problems with one of the kids, however this week I had 2 sets of twins and a set of triplets all born with out a problem, all doing fine! While it is good to be prepared because it can happen, most likely everything will be fine! :D