Totally confused about doe not kidding.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I am not new to goats.
    When it gets close to time I know when they are getting close.
    I have a doe that I had written the due date down as 2-26.
    The 28th ther were no kids and I re checked her due date to find it should have been the 28th. OK. Last year she kidded on day 153 so no problem. Just needed to be patient.
    Instead of her puffy vulva getting puffier the swelling went down.
    instead of her udder filling out more it has gotten narrower. Still hanging down pretty far and one side is filled out more that the other.
    Today is day 155. The vulva is back to normal and she shoes no signs of doing anything.
    I would suspect an abortion but there has been no discharge at all.
    She uddered up first. About a month and a half ago. She had a very puffy vulva but she did that early last year too.
    last year She kidded with a 9 lb buck and three days later she passed two slurry kids .
    Could she have just have stopped developing kids again and obsorbed them?

What the heck is going on here?

Next problem is after all the does were bred and did not come into heat the next month I let the buck run with them for a couple of months.
    She still could be bred. I don't know what to do.
    I don't want to go in to a tight vulva and deffinately not if she could be pregnant but just due next month or the month after that.
    :help2 :???

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Will she let you feel for kids externally by placing your hands in front of her foreudder? Have you done a (careful) bounce on her? I AM new to goats. Just thought these idea might help. You've probably already tried them though. I hope you find out what's up.

-Kim

3. susie

susie New Member

It does sound to me like something is up-- my doe that had the slurry kids was 6 days overdue, she usually goes right on day 150. I'm not sure if i would be ready to do anything at this point, since there is the chance that she is due later.
    Can you see or feel any movement? I'm sure you've tried to check . hmm, know anyone with an ultrasound machine? I've never tried a stethoscope-- can you hear kids hearts with one before they're born?

Sorry I'm not much help,

Susie

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

maybe a vet ultra sound might help

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would recommend an ultrasound. Something is not right...I've never had a doe go backwards before kidding with bagging up and such. Is she acting normal, eating and all that?

6. Corky

Corky New Member

:blush I am not new to goats I SWEAR! but....you would think I am.

She had a doe today. 8 3/4 lbs Labor from 11:00 or before and delivery of kid and most of placenta at 3:00 PM. Problem was placenta was in birth canal with kid. Lots of blood but it stopped quickly. Thank God! She still has not passed the rest of it yet but I came for a break and something to eat.
    Doeling got right up and started nursing like it was a week old.
    I bounced her and felt only mush. I tried to bounce her before but couldn't tell anything.
    Can't tell what color this one is. Looks sundgau also but I don't think it is.
    The head appears to be lighter. The dam is half Togg and is togg color. This kid may be the same or front togg and back alpine.
    Time will tell. White markings are correct for either.

This was very strange indeed! :sigh

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah glad it all worked out!!

8. Corky

Corky New Member

:D Me too! One more to go and it is my 13 YO doe. She is very big and has always had triplets and calcium problems.

She is due around the 8th. DH wrote the breeding date down on a piece of paper at the time and then promptly lost it.

I have a doe born last year that had been bred to kid in April but came into heat the 10th of February so was re-bred then and today has white discharge. :crazy
    That would be 23 days after last breeding. HEAT AGAIN????
    She crawled through the gate to get to him last time.
    She is for sale! Any takers?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey I have one that has discharge every 21 days no matter what. very agravating but always bred on the first date.

10. Corky

Corky New Member

I hope you are right Sondra. I have also heard that they can come in heat every month even thought they are bred. We will see.
    She is small and does not look pregnant but then neither did Sunday and she had a kid today.

I went back up and caught her starting to eat the rest of the placenta.
    It was a big one.
    She is still having labor pains so I am checking on her every little bit till those stop. I doubt it could be another kid after three hours but she did have slurry kids three days later last year.

11. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I know that most everyone is on a tight budget, but this is why I started doing the BioTracking blood test on anyone I wasn't sure of- $7.50 + priority mail is sure better than a doe that is dry for a year. The way feed is running, it costs me 2-3 hundred to feed a dry doe for a year... it makes the pregnancy test cheap! I am also going to start culling lines that aren't dependable, easy breeders.

12. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I used the Bio-Tracking this year and was very happy to find out my favorite doe was pregnant. I had one that wasn't and have the same idea you have, I don't want to feed her another year and still nothing.

TAmera

13. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I hope that you are checking her internally and not *just* bouncing...

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Congrats on your Doe being born! Who of thunk it? :D

-Kim

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

me too very irratating, as I was new to goats at the time

16. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Corky - Congrats to you - and a doe too!!! She was just trying to make you panic -you must know the Doe Code too well!!

Ginger

17. Corky

Corky New Member

Hey Squirt!
    Where are you anyway?

I can't believe you would miss this perfect opportunity to get even for all the teasing I have given you over the years. :lol

18. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Congratulations on the doeling, Corky. :biggrin So what color do you think she is winding up being? I got a Sundgau this year.

19. Corky

Corky New Member

My first two doelings were sundgau but this one, even though she is 3/4 Alpine and 3/4 sundgau Alpine at that, is going to be a Togg like her Mom. Thats brown and white if you don't know what a Togg looks like.
    I have never had a kid born on this farm that was not either Togg or Sundgau Alpine. If a kid came out without those white face stripes and white feet I would think it was not ours. :lol