too many hormones in bucks?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goat girl, Nov 19, 2008.

1. goat girl

goat girl New Member

I put my bucks (2) that were born this past February in my pen with 3 nubian girls in July. The boys were "happy". But I didn't see any breeding going on but saw the boys with everything hanging out and acting "bucky" Removed them mid September. One of my does escaped beginning of October---found her "mooning" the buck pen. Put her in and they bred her again. So I put the 2 bucks back in the pen with the does again. Beginning of November removed the bucks. Then few days later, my 1 doeling was showing interest by the buck pen. Put her in. They bred her. Few weeks later. Showing interest in bucks again, so put the bucks back in the pen with the three does. (2 have been bred/kidded before---I bought them as milkers last year). Now the bucks are again showing interest in the doeling and have bred her again. The bucks keep trying to smell the other does, but they don't want to be near them. I am going to do a pregnancy test after Thanksgiving, but was wondering if I could just have Bucks who like to breed whenever they can. :crazy

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

They are bucks.

They are doing what bucks do... breed. :)

I would be wondering if it is a problem with your doe since it sounds like she is coming into heat again and again. Send blood to Bio Tracking for a pregnancy test. A few does will allow a buck to breed her after she is bred. I have one of these... drives me nuts!

Are these does in good condition? Dewormed, BoSe, etc.?

I certainly hope you have breeding dates for all of these matings.

Sara

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I also HOPE you don't intend to register any kids. Because with two bucks servicing does...you don't have a clue as to who the sire is.
    Kaye

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Ok this thread title totally cracks me up. :) Don't most males, well of the animal world, have too many hormones? LOL Hey, it works and guarantees survival of the species!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What do you mean of the animal world? :)
    I am with Kaye why do you have two bucks running with the does?

6. goat girl

goat girl New Member

Since I wasn't planning to keep any babies this year, and probably just selling them off for meat, I just put both bucks in--less pens to keep with hay, water, etc. Thanks for the advice.

Christine

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

:) :) Well, I'd hate to bash all males since I'm married to a very nice guy who I enjoy very much and have 3 little boys who will hopefully grow up in control of their hormones...