Too many acorns? Help goat SICK

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Dec 7, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I have a doe that seems very uncomfortable, has not eaten hay all day. Not sure what's wrong but the only thing she has access to besides her hay is all the acorns that are down right now. I gave her baking soda first thing then had to leave for a while, came back and she seemed distended, her rumen not moving too much so I gave her about a tblsp mineral oil. I'm not sure what to do since I don't really know what caused this. She is grinding her teeth and her poo is a mixture of soft poo and hard dry pellets. Oh, she's on alfalfa hay with a little grass hay and no grain.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Too many acorns?

Give her some banamine and probios do you have charcoal? yep tis possible on acorns but I have never been affected as usually if they have all the hay they want they don't over eat on the acorns. Will go do some research on the oil as I don't know right off how much to do and think you need to tube it so they don't aspirate on it.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,26.msg56.html#msg56
    antihistamine in this case would use benedryl

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What is her temp?? Since you have CD/ANTITOXIN use it

5. doublebowgoats

Thanks Sondra! I had to go out for a while because we thought my daughter was in labor so the goat got put on hold. I'll go out and get a temp now. How much antitoxin? Can you give benadryl instead of chlor...? I gave charcoal earlier before I left.

6. doublebowgoats

Oh I just saw you said to use the benadryl

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

When I give CD/Antitoxin it is 18 cc given at 3 cc intervals alternating sides and spots and then 6 to 9 cc orally and I give every 2 hrs until better. Sorry was not back on last night.

8. doublebowgoats

Thanks Sondra. I gave her 12 cc antitoxin and none orally. Her temp is up to 103.3. It seems like nothings moving. I gave an enema of 30 cc warm water just now and she pooped a little. But it doesn't seem like she's burping or cudding. And she looks swollen around the face. Now what?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

did you worm her ? and also for tapes? I would worm with cydectin and right away with valbazen is she bred and how far along? don't use valbazen within first trimester maybe use safeguard sounds like tapes to me?

10. doublebowgoats

I didn't think about her having tapes. But I had never given her the valbazen that everybody else had because I thought she was bred last summer. She's 60 days bred so I think I'll go ahead with the valbazen. Should I keep giving her oil to try to get stuff moving? I don't have a tube or the knowledge to tube her so I've been giving her small amounts(15 cc) of oil at a time.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Michelle, so what exactly all have you done and what is her temp?

First know that when you do think you are dealing with an impaction from too much grain or something else, that a few tablespoons of anything isn't going to save your goat. You have to get whatever is clogging the rumen out, which means up to and even more if the doe is very large, a quart of oil. Of course you can only tube it, which means if she is valuable to you, vet time. Banamine will calm the gut, and her. All the pepto and stuff like that is pretty useless, baking soda is fine if it's grain or she is frothy.

Then you start work on getting her rumen back. Because she is not cudding she will die if no given doses of Thiamin/B1 that are for polio/thiamin defficency. Jacket her because a goat with a non working rumen is going to be cold...in fact if she spikes a fever with this going on you know she has likely perferoated her rumen or gut and has speticemia...etc.

There are simply times a vet is needed, their stethascope to the rumen can tell you if you are dealing with bloat, impaction etc...especially cattle vets. Vicki

12. doublebowgoats

Thank you Vicki. Her temp is 103. I'm taking her to the vet.

13. doublebowgoats

I'm back from the vat. He tubed her with a quart of therabloat and showed me how to do it. He thinks that she has some blockage in the fourth stomach. But her rumen was actually working (about 1 movement per minute instead of 2) So now we wait. She is not valuable enough to warrant surgery or anything but she is my best milker so hopefully she'll be ok. Thanks for all the help Sondra and Vicki.

14. doublebowgoats

Just wanted to say that it is definitely the acorns that clogged her up. She is moving her bowels some and what is coming looks like coarsely ground acorns. Very hard and dry. I know there was a discussion about acorns a while back and most of our goats eat them without trouble, but they have certainly caused this goat a great deal of trouble.

15. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I guess she just really likes them. And over did it.
    Mine are in an oak covered woods lot. And eat a lot of acorns. Never have had problems. but, I guess you can always have one that will pig out on them.
    Les

16. doublebowgoats

Well, she is kind of a pig:)

17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My understanding is some animals will just become obsessed with them and eat every one they can get to, this is when you get troubles like this.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sure would keep her in her pen now :)

19. doublebowgoats

Oh, yes! No more outings for her or her penmate.

20. doublebowgoats

Well, Shami got up this morning and started eating again after days of being off feed. Still seems big in the barrel and is not pooping as much as normal. She has had 2 "cud transplants" and her rumen is still percolating. So she is better but not 100%. The vet had given her some kind of laxative and therabloat. Should she have more to make sure everything cleared? Also wondering if she'll abort.