To Milk or Not to milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by redskygal, Jun 23, 2008.

1. redskygal

redskygal New Member

I need some advice. This weekend I had a doe start to kid, and only got a foot out no matter how much maneuvering that kid was not coming out. I called the vet loaded up the goat in the back of the van and met the vets their office. After they tried and tried to get the kid out they had to do an emergency c-section. The kid was dead looks like it had been dead for a couple of days, and the doe also had a ruptured uterus.

The doe is doing fine now, eating, peeing, pooping and coming home today. The vet advised us not to breed her again, I am bummed about that. Should I just let her dry up, or try to milk her? She has been on some major meds, and I would have to dump the milk for some days. What are your opinions?

Thanks,
    Kellyjo

2. Truly

Truly New Member

Well, if you plan to keep her, milking her is the only way she's gonna pay her way. A non productive goat is an expensive pet.

3. redskygal

redskygal New Member

I do plan on keeping her, she is my daughters first goat. She won't be going to fair this year. The vet acted like to it would be best to not to milk her. So I just wanted to make sure that I would not be harming her by milking her. Was the vet accurate about not ever breeding her again?

Thanks,
    Kellyjo

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would ask him further about why he things she should be barron. Honestly if you can't milk her I would put her down. She will always have problems with her udder, she will come into milk in the spring even not being bred, will likely develope mastitis.

Back to the uterus. Did it rip? How bad? How many stitches? Is she on banamine for pain and inflammation? Does have successful pregnancies after C sections all the time...ask him specifically what about her stitiches in her uterus does he think she should not be bred.

Now you....use bo-se prebreeding so she ovulates more than one egg...one huge kid isn't wise. Also make sure you are breeding her to a buck who throws smaller kids than the one you used this time. Vicki