To castrate or not?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dusty, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

This question is for those of you who also do meat goats. Do you castrate your bucklings that you plan on selling? I have been researching it, but I keep finding conflicting results.

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

If you are selling them for fed out (4-6 months old in my opinion) for meat I would definetely band them as young kids...I guess if they are still really young you can leave it up to the new owners.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Those I use for meat No I don't band as just don't want to mess with it.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

As a general practice I band all my boer buck kids that I am going to sell unless someone specifically has requested a breeding buck. Most 4-H or other children show wethers anyway. I also disbud all of my kids, dairy, boer, doe, buck or wethers. If you aren't selling them and are just keeping them to butcher for yourself you don't have to castrate them. They don't start getting a stronger taste to the meat until they are about 9 months old anyway and most people butcher before that. Now having a potent breeding young male running around is another story.... if you castrate you just don't have to worry about it. They can run with the does or doelings and no worries.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Cris just wondering what size bands you use on your bucklings :rofl

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

:yeahthat :rofl :rofl :rofl
    itty bitty ones! :laughcry
    You guys are gonna make me pee my pants this morning!
    Kathy

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl :crazy

:really Anyone willing to donate to the "Shrink" fund for our moderators????? I'm beginning to think they're ready for a little mental help.? :/
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

In theory this sounded like it would be really funny, in practice, it's driving me insane :) Vicki who had to get up this morning and deliver Snakelings in the first fresheners pen! My older Frogs aren't even finished and the young ones have already started! Damn CIDR'S!!!! Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl :rofl serves you right after this

10. coso

coso Guest

I thought I was going crazy or we had a hacker on the site or something. :nooo :biggrin

11. Terry

Terry New Member

When I first got on and started reading I thought that I was going crazy and needed to go back to bed.

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

All I can say..... I ain't giving out doses on meds. today!!! I know nothing about mudders, snakes, or kangaroos...and I'm not about to start now! :rofl
    Kaye

13. Grams

Grams New Member

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl :rofl
    I started reading this and told myself..." Self you have finally gone round the bend"!!! I had to read the posts 3 times before I went DUH!! :blush :blush :blush
    I admit it, Ya'll got me GOOD!
    You made my day!!
    Have a Great April Fools Day!!

from one BIG fool!!!

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah come on now just do some research :)

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

OMG. Yep, it would have to be some really tiny bands to put on Snakelings. Good Grief!!! Somebody has had WAYYY too much wine!