Tips for bolusing???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by [email protected], Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I had a rough time today. Mostly my own fault. I went over to a friends house to help her give her animals the copper boluses and every stinking one of them chewed them up!

This was my first time giving these things, so it seems it is actually harder than I thought it was going to be.

So she had a syringe with a black thing on the end, we stuck the boluses in it and then tried to get them in the back of their mouths so they could swallow. They chewed them.

We tried with a little water...they swallowed the water and chewed them.

Now how long should we wait until we try again?

We tried hard to keep their heads in a normal position rather than cranking them up. Can you give me some ideas of how not to let them swallow them?

Her goats are in bad condition as she was injured and has been having trouble taking care of them. So we went over and helped her with hoof trimming, pen cleaning and bathing the goats and worming them. Oi, I am so sore.

2. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Did you use the bolus gun? I think that's what it is called? It's a long tube thing that holds the capsules at the end. Then you push the end and the air forces the capsules out. It seemed to work pretty well for me because it gets so far back in the mouth and saves your fingers. They make 3 different sizes of them. Sorry for the explanation if that is what you used.

I don't know about the other questions. Sorry!

Wendy

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I gave my first copper boluses today also. My hubby and I had a heck of a time. The first goat chewed them. We tried the bolus gun but it didn't work for us. So on the other goats my husband basically wrestled with them and stuck his hands down their throats and got his fingers chomped on. The other two may have chomped on one or two of the capsules. It was hard to tell.

What are we not getting? My husband thought he had them far back in the throat but they would spit them back up to chew on them. HELP!!!

I read all of the past post on bolusing before we went out there today. Is this really easy for most of you???

Tiffany

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I have better luck by giving them a small amount of water first, to wet their throats, which makes the gelatin capsules not stick to their mouths, thus making it harder for them to spit them up to chew them.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

My husband wanted to try and wash them down with some water but I thought they might go into the wrong stomach if they went down with some water.

He is thinking of devising some kind of wedge that goes all the way back to the molars with a hole in the middle so you can then blow the capsules down there throat with a large straw.

We tried the PVC pipe suggested by Vicki, but it didn't help us out much. It kept slipping out and with the pipe in their mouths we couldn't get our hands in there to put the pills in.

6. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I too need to copper bolus - I bought all the stuff just haven't worked up the nerve. I read somewhere that for kids you can put the rods in corn syrup and syringe it into their mouth and they will swallow it right down. Is this true? If so could you do the same with adults? If not couldn't you dip the end of the bolus gun in corn syrup (or some other yummy concoction) and give the bolus that way? Also I have a doe that I suspect is bred, can I give her a copper bolus? Any pointers???

Thanks,
    Anne

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Well, I have no experience with this. But I don't think it works right if we give a lot of liquid with the copper rods. Vicki once said that it needed to go into the rumen, and if we give fluids it won't. Not sure about that though.

My friend whom I helped had a black thing on a drenching syringe. We stick two geletin capsules in it and tried it that way. It was not a bolusing gun.

8. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

IMO don't even bother trying to get them down with the black tip that comes with them ..made to go on the drenching syringe. Go down to the feed store and get one of the plastic bolus "guns"..just long handle that slided forward to push the capsule out, they are only a couple of bucks. Slide it past the rear molars and pop..works every time.

9. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I never can keep them from chewing them either.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

The trick is to get the gun over the back of the tongue before shooting them down. You will think you have the gun pushed all the way back...but hold it there for a second or too and the goat will move it's tongue and eventually it will slide farther back by an inch or two...don't use force, just wiggle the gun. Once you are over the "hump" of the tongue...they go down every time. If you aren't far enough back...they will chew them up.

With copper....if they chew them up do you redo it or count that as a dose?

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The plastic , cheap bolus things work the best you stick one capsul in the thing put in back of throat and push WALLA I only have one goat that I have a problem with cause I have to give her more that one capsul
    http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=295&cat_id=40

redo as chewed up doesn't work tests have been done