Tiny bumps all over the outside of the udder???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I have two does fresh and one dry that have tiny bumps all over their udders, two are really bad and one not so much. What is this and how do I treat it? I keep it washed and dry, milk those two last with gloves on..what if anything can treat this stuff?

Thansk
    Autumn

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Sounds like something I saw once on someone else's does. It was either strep or staph and I think chlorahexadine sp? washes took care of it....
    Not much help am I :blush

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep chlorahexadine but imagin it is staph. Sue Reith had me using antibiotics for 10 days and also BoSe injections for 10 days and it cleared up.
    Some have used diluted tea tree oil on the udder also. But keeping the udder dry is also important.

4. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I read in a natural farmsteading book that this problem needs a copper deficient host.
    Lee

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

If you have any other milking does that are in milk now or about to freshen I would get a bottle of Lysigin http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cattlevac/lysigin.html
    I would vaccinate everyone, 5ccs IM, including the ones with the Staff on their udder. In 2 weeks I would vaccinate them again with a booster shot of 5 ccs. Clean and dry as mentioned above.
    Once these does have had their first shot and their booster shot then be sure to give them an annual vaccination a couple of weeks prior to freshening next year.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:yeahthat Everything Christine just typed. The lysigin really helps.
    Kaye

7. Rose

Rose New Member

Treat it NOW! I thought my doe had gotten bitten by fire ants, and by the time I realized what it was, she had a large oozy sore.

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I will give everyone Lysigin tomorrow. So do I need to do the 10 days of antibiotics and 10 doses of Bo-Se... if so, what kind of antibiotics...this one doe does this every year but it seems to get better later on, I just looked at her records.

Autumn

9. reedfarm

reedfarm New Member

We had this problem too. It seemed to get a lot better when we started using Fight-bac Spray. We used it as an overall spray on the udder and teats. A little expensive, but it worked!

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Agree Lee, there is a defficency in the doe for her to get this. Vaccnination helps but it won't help immediatly. Using chlorhexiderm as a wash works really well because it is healing and not drying. Don't use salves or creams it just makes a thin protective film in which moisture and humidity builds up, the perfect enviornment for more staph.

Sadly the summer heat and sun will make it go away. Wet bedding and our humidity simply makes staph a problem. Vicki

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Try everything else first the lysine the chlorhexiderm and wait and see before going the antibiotic and bose route. on mine I had tried everything prior nothing worked for me on one doe.

12. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

This happened to one of my does last year and an experienced goat person told me to feed her back her milk. I was skeptical but I did and low and behold the bumps quickly went away. She wouldn't drink it by herself so I drenched her with it. Sounds weird but it worked.

Vicki in NC

13. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I'm kind of interested in this thread too. What deficiency are we talking about in regards to this? Also, is there a milk withdrawl when one gives the vaccine.

I'm not sure if I understood Vicki's post. In the other thread, when she is talking about the staph arreus.

(vaccine info is very new to me. )

I can use chlorahexiderm, feed milk back, order the vaccine ect.

In preparation for using the milking machine starting this week what precautions do I need to take?

14. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Looks like MN residents need a prescription for the vaccine. ERRRR!

15. mdbates

mdbates New Member

How tiny are the bumps?
    One of my goats have bumps all over her udder, also, but not tiny. It started with just 1 or 2 I thought in a sore becauce she's a first freshener,and nursing her kid. I put udder bulm on it, and after 2 day she now has it all over her udder.

A friend of mine said it might be goat pox?? Is that the same?

16. Rose

Rose New Member

Vicki says no goat pox in the U.S.

I bet it's staph. Had it with two of my three does. I'm waiting on the vaccine to arrive in the mail.

17. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I don't see how she is copper defienct as I copper bolus every year and have for the past two years.

I did start the Lysigin and pen but no improvement yet.

Thanks
    Autumn

18. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You can order Lysigin directly from Jeffers without a vet RX. Kathie

19. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

YOu want to keep the udder dry and clean. Udder balm gums it up and creats a moist place for the staff to multiply.

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I put udder bulm on it

Exactly what Chris said. Staph dermatitis which is what you all have is enviornmental. Vaccinating for staph will give the doe some immunity to this. But lack of sunlight is not good for healthy skin. Neither is damp bedding.

In some herds, these kinds of problems simply go away when the barn is cleaned out of winter bedding and the sun comes out (here). Others it can plague you, you get it around the dewclaws, up the legs.

Balms, slaves etc., like Chris said, gunk up the problem. Figure you are putting a layer of petroleum onto the skin. Under this layer of pertroleum is the perfect enviornment to grow more staph...wet, humid, moist and WARM.

Lysigin or any vaccination isn't going to clear up any problem you are having now, it is about overall herd health. In the future with relatively clean airy places for the does to lay at night you will have alot less of this. I have been vaccinating with Lysigin for years now 12 at least, maybe more, I will have maybe 1 doe a year with staph dermatitis, and no does with staph mastitis, and never have I had a staph aureous diagnosis in my herd since using it. We had a list when we dairied...pseudonomas, ecoli, staph A, acidomides, in which the doe the next wednesday was put through the Cleveland auction barn. Vicki