timing for milking.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Dec 18, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

on rare occasions (tonight!) we have need to be away smack-middle of milking time. so, is it better to milk 2 hours early or 2 hours late?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would do it the 2 hours early, just because I know my girls will start hollaring at milking time and hollar the whole 2 hours I am late :) Vicki

3. chewie

chewie New Member

that's what i was leaning to, i really dont' want full udders telling them to shut down! its very cold here, so they dont' need any reasons to slow production! and having to milk that late, after going out, isn't fun.

i think then, to maybe milk a bit earlier the next morning, then that evening go back to normal?

4. NubianSoaps.com

2 hours early isn't going to make any difference to the udders, just milk normal time in the morning. Vicki

5. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks much vicki, you're a doll!

ps--i dont' remember if i posted anything before, but that post where you told how you stayed in a camper with kids, making your way into the goats, etc. is so very inspiring. thanks for sharing that!!

6. NubianSoaps.com

Your welcome! Back when HT was countrysidemag.com my story wasn't all that different than most of the gals on the dairy goat forum! vicki