Thoughts on iron?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Just wanting some thoughts on this...

I just realized the hydrant at the barn that I use to water the animals has water with high iron. The hydrant at the end of the trailer is soft water w/ low iron. I use to water the girls with the hydrant at the barn and I never had any issues with them for the most part.

We switched to the hydrant at the barn since it was closer and had higher pressure so it was much quicker. I am wondering though if the high iron is causing the girls to have problems absorbing their mineral correctly which is causing them to have a lower immune system. Would that be a likely possibility? Or not?

Thanks!! :)

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I'm a bit confused. Is there a chance that you meant something different with the when/where of the hydrants?

3. No Im asking if the high iron water coming from one hydrant may be causing problems with the girls absorbing their mineral correctly resulting in lowering their immune system.

One hydrant is soft water (The one I use to use.) The other hydrant is hard water. (The one Im using now. & The one w/ high iron.)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes it can cause lower absorbtion of minerals don't know it that is the case but it could be.

5. Thanks Sondra. :)

The girls go through a lot of mineral. I don't remember them going through this much while using the other water. Once we get our well fixed (Right now we dont have water at the house.) I'm going to switch the girls back to the other water and see if there is a difference in them.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

remeber it takes a while for all this to make a change in their systems so you might consider having your well tested so you know what is in it.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Amy....I'm kinda thinking like Sondra about getting that well tested. If nothing else, why not take a sample of water from it with you when you take the next poop sample into the vet. If that well is laced with cocci, it might would show up in a fecal type test done with the micro at the vets office. Of course, this would not replace a full blown water test like they would send off from your local health dep. ......just thinking it might help you locate the re-infection source there.

Whim

8. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Got any swimming pool specialty stores near you? Many of them will do a free sample ot very cheap test of "pool water" you bring in a glass jar. AFAIK the usual tests dont test for biologicals like ecoli, but its the quickest easiest and cheapest way I know of to spot check mineral levels. Wont give you a full spectrum, but when I did it when I lived in SC it checked for iron, copper and calcium among other things.

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I have wondered if a lot of the urinary calculi found in bucks has to do with high mineral content in the water and not just diet alone. Putting a filter on your water supply might be in order. They do sell a filter that is used for recreational mobile home that fastens to the water hose. Great idea for shows too.

10. FRW

FRW New Member

Anytime you are on well water you should always test your water and they advise testing in the middle of the summer.My uncle drills wells and has for 40 years. He says the Iron can sometimes be removed by using a reservoir tank. The mineral will have time to settle to the bottom of the tank and is not pumped in with as high a concentration in the water supply.
    FLOYD

11. FRW

FRW New Member

Tim I do think it can be a problem . Anytime you can't control the concentrations of the minerals could cause problems.
    We have a friend who kept having kidney stones and they had her on a strict diet because of it. Well when they tested the water they found it very high in calcium concentrations and other minerals were too high also.
    They are now buying drinking water .It would take a pretty high PPM filter to get it out of the water,Possibly a water softener machine.
    FLOYD