Those of you who put frozen water bottles in your milk pails

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

How do you ensure they are clean? And do you then use a different bottle for each doe's milk? We have been doing a 'double milk pail' thing putting nearly frozen salt water in the outer pail (We keep gallon containers of this in the freezer, salt keeps it from freezing solid yet it seems as cold as ice.) It works great at getting the milk cooled right away but can be messy plus you have extra buckets to clean.

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I use the water bottles. after I take them out of the milk they are almost all thawed out so I'll rinse them off and dip them in a really weak dose of bleach water, then rinsed off again with water (hot)

-Melissa

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They get washed in hot soapy water, rinsed and put back into the freezer. I take 3 out with me this time of year. 1 goes into the milk can, the goats are milked into the can via the inflations, so all the milk is mixed together. Then when I pour the milk from the can into the two carriers they also have frozen bottles in them, I plop the can one into one of the carriers to bring it back to the house. I get everything ready to bottle milk and taking the lids off the carriers, they bottles are floating, I dump them into the right sink, and pour the milk into bottles in the left through a strainer. After I am done I wash everything up using the soapy water to also clean the carriers and the frozen, now unfrozen water bottles.

I keep 6 of them in the freezer because by the end of morning chores they are not frozen and in the freezer they are not frozen hard enough to use for night chores. Vicki

4. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Kathy -- I do something similar since my milk inspector would collapse if he saw a plastic bottle in my tote. I use very large athletic cold wraps -- 2 per 10 liter tote -- that fasten around my stainless steel milk tote with velcro straps. That wrapped tote then gets placed in a large white plastic pail on top of a big chunk of blue ice. During the milking session, I have my filter (covered) sitting on top of the tote, and I filter into the tote after milking each doe. My milk is usually between 50° and 60° when I bring the tote(s) down from the barn to my dairy. Wraps and blue ice live in the freezer between milkings.

5. Rose

Rose New Member

I use the double bucket / icey salt water system. We don't wash the outside bucket very often. Just set a clean inside bucket in it and put it back in the freezer.

I'm glad you asked about the frozen plastic bottles. The idea of the milk getting under the cap edges gives me the willies!

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

washed with hot soapy water, refrozen then sprayed with sanitizing solution before use.

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Washing up with the milk bucket and sanitized, refrozen and rinsed with sanitizer before use.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If the milk could get under the edges, why couldn't the soapy water clean it?

At some points you gotta just go, this is all I am willing to do. I am not willing to haul a bunch of stuff out to my barn, put a freezer or fridge out there to run in our heat and have huge electric bills. I do this by myself. My girls pay their electric bill in the barn. Carrying a bucket with 3 water bottles frozen is as high tech as I am getting :) Vicki

9. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We don't put them in the milk bucket.

We bought a big, cheap-o plastic tub from Target. We put ice, water and frozen water bottles in THAT and then set the milk can in it. It still pulls the milk temp down a good 20 degrees, but without introducing foreign objects into the milk.

10. Rose

Rose New Member

I didn't used to be a germ-o-phobe. :) Now, with a hubby on anti-rejection drugs and two grandchildren with health issues, I have become one.

I have visions of bits of dried milk up in those threads, breeding grounds for hordes of bacteria, and resistant to a swish in hot soapy water.

I know. I'm overly worried about it. :down

11. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

The cheap plastic tub sounds like a great idea! I've been using an ice chest & putting the glass jars & filtering into that with ice water in the ice chest around the glass jars, but cooling even before it gets there would be good! I did get a bunch of those big blue plastic ice chest things that are re- freezable so I don't have to use ice all the time.

12. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Be careful with the blue things. They rupture/leak easily. ...ask how I know. :(
    We just freeze water in 1/2 gallon bottles that we buy juice in.
    The tub we use was $7.99 and they had tons of them with the summer/patio stuff. I guess it is just a big laundry tub.

Rose-- I'm with you. I'm not REALLY a germ phobe, but I have the same fear as you on this. Not sure why.

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Well with the fears you all have with milk drying on the threads, undo the lid and scrub good rinse, sanitize and replace lid.

I really appreciate all the ideas, I have been struggling with what do as ice is starting to get expensive round here.

Autumn

14. nappint

nappint New Member

I think this is a great thread!

I don't use frozen bottles in my milk - I have the same "germy" issues as some of the others BUT I love the idea of a re-freezable, washable wrap for my bucket. I tried the ice slush in an outer bucket but I failed miserably with both the slush and milking into the pail :blush My girls just didn't like all the "stuff" under them and the buckets get heavy!

I've been thinking about it all day and I think I can make a wrap using scrap fabric (I have tons of that) and ziploc sandwich bags for the "ice" - they are cheap and I can put tons of them in the freezer in a small space. I'm thinking of a wrap that has pockets around the outside and one on the bottom. I can fit it to my bucket so it will be snug and the best part is it won't cost me a thing because I already have all the stuff laying around the house. I can make several of them and just toss them in the wash after each milking. :biggrin I'm feeling a bit brilliant right now LOL!

Thanks for giving me the idea! It's been so hot here I've been really struggling to cool my milk quickly - even the water coming out of the faucet is warm :(

15. crocee

crocee New Member

If you go to the dollar store and get one of those insulated reflector thingies for windshields you can cut it up, put the pieces in the pockets also and insulate the ice from the sun. It should help it to last longer

16. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmmm, I think I'm going to try and make a wrap too. The thing I don't like about using the outer bucket with slushy ice is that when you go to pour your milk there is a chance some of that will drip off the outside edge of the bucket and end up in the milk. We are pretty careful but you just never know.

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I milk in one pail and after done with that doe I pore the milk into the strainer that's sitting in another, deeper/bigger s/s pot that has 4 bottles of frozen water in it. it takes me maybe 6/7 minutes to milk each doe, so I don't worry about that time it's not cooled. I do make sure the does are brushed fairly good in the back end to try and avoid any hairs in the milk.

18. Rose

Rose New Member

I'm a two bucket, frozen slush, milking person. When we bring the milk to the house, the ice slush bucket is put down on the porch outside, and I wipe off the milk bucket with a towel. No drips coming in or getting in the milk.

I keep one of the older raggedy towels outside for just that purpose, and every couple of days, it's flung in the laundry and another clean one takes its place.