Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
It gets really cold here in winter, especially when it's dark out. I do not have a heated milking parlor. I milk the goats in what used to be a garage. Yeah, the cars get to live outside and the garage is now a combo storage/milking area. I have only one milk stand. I bring the does in two or three at a time so they can all eat grain while they are milked one at a time. We wipe, rather than dip the teats, so the goats don't get sore and cracked. We also do not shave udders in the winter. The warm udders and teats keep my hands warm enough when I'm milking. I wear lots of layers including Duofold long underwear. I breed to start kidding in early March, so we generally dry them all up early January to give ourselves a break. I'm not a milk drinker and we have enough cheese made up to last us through the dry period.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
It's seemed pretty cold the past couple of mornings. The coat I was wearing wasn't quite as warm as the one I wore last winter (but had to throw out because it was falling apart). Today, at work, I came across an almost new Carhartt jacket with a quilted lining. I bought it at a great bargain price. Tonite, as I was doing chores, I was toasty warm. :D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The goaties are getting used to the colder weather, but neither of my old trucks wanted to start this afternoon. I had to go get some grass hay for the bucks. I got my 77 Chevy started with a jump and then it ran just fine. Guess I'll have to start it every once in a while to keep the battery charged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.