This is why...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

I didn't want kids in January.

It was 0 degrees this morning when I went out to milk. BRRR

The kids are in the house cuz it's too cold and the kid barn is filled with constructions supplies, for work that never got done last year.

I couldn't even take them outside for awhile yesterday as the wind was blowing around 50mph. The temp was warmer, but not after you consider the windchill factor.

At least today, at 20 degrees, sun shining and no wind I was able to take them outside for their mid day feeding.

Last year I didn't have to start milking until late March. That puts me with almost 2 1/2 extra months of milking this year.

Oh well, I'm griping, but I love my kids. :crazy

2. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Brr! That sounds about like our weather out here this week too. I was actually thinking this morning (while my hands were freezing doing chores) that I was glad my first doe isnt due until march. Its not much fun in the cold! Sorry! You will forget about it by spring though!!LOL Enjoy those babies anyways :)
    Patina

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

WOW! That is rough!

Last year, all my does kidding at once and although I planned it that way, it was harder than I thought. This year, my does are more spread out, not by design, they just are. So mine are kidding from Feb thru April. With maybe 2 in June. I will have winter milk next year if I want it I think. I don't see myself as ever getting to stop milking though the way things are set up...and I am still pretending to go to Belize!!!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I had Jan babies last year and was a very unhappy camper even tho it doesn't get that cold here it is cold enough.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

The weeks are ticking by here and I see my first bred does belly growing and I am counting the few weeks I have left until I am doing it all again. I am also waiting very impatiently for spring. I am sick of cutting and carrying yaupon and now cedar every freakin day to these 17 goats! But it sure makes them look better.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks the weather is headed our way. -10 for this weekend.

I have always left kids outside even at -30 . and at least 2 days old. Maybe i got lucky. I don't start kiddin til feb 21st

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

not as cold here... but I am think Nov & Mar kids next yr.... NO JAN

8. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Brrr! now I know that I wont be moving out to Lingel Wy. It is cold to me when it's in the 20 here in Ms. Today it is wet and cold in the 30 & 40 with the wind it's cold. No kids yet but due anytime now

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

My son returned from his job as a geologist on an island off the north slope of Alaska yesterday. It had been as cold as 71 below zero. He said it was hard for human lungs to inhale air that cold. Especially Texas lungs. He has a spot of frostbite even. They made the smokers go to a separate little building called the "bear box" because it was prone to polar bear attacks. That's where he got the frost bite, opening the door to that building. Anyway, he was real happy to get back to his home in Houston...anywhere he said where there would not be snow on the ground!

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

With you there Deana (Welcome to the forum)
    The wind just make it miserable even at 50 here

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Yes, welcome Deana.

And I am ready for warm weather too. It was in the 50s today and I just wanted to stay in...hated the clouds as I am spoiled to all the sunshine we have had. I would rather have the heat than the cold, I can never get warm.

12. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

You poor thing. When I drove an 18 wheeler, I spent a lot of time in Wyoming, and it get's colder than a witche's t......well you know what I mean. Way, way too cold for me.

I used to breed my does to kid as early as October and November (we always tried to show wethers) And I decided one year, that I didn't want to be bothered by milking at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I just didn't want to do it.! So I've been breeding my does later each year. And now I've decided that I don't want to kid in the cold. I'm tired of tramping out to the barn when it's wet and cold and 2 am just to have the doe look at me like what are you doing here, then just as I start to leave do that long back stretch or a semi push, just to tease me and think she is in early labor. Nope, don't want to stand in a cold barn any more. Now this year, the plan was not to have any kids before the 24th of February, but I don't think that's gonna happen. My Nubian buck with HORNS!!! broke out of his pen three times. I thought I had written them all down on my calender, but I can only find two dates written down, and there's this FF that sure is uddering up, and she sure has loose floppy tail...losing ligament....I don't think she's gonna wait that long.

At least we don't have wind whipping around and it be -25 degree wind chill. And I know first hand that Wyoming has that. Nope not this Texas gal. No way.

I sure hope you find a way to stay warm. You have my sympathy.

Sheryl

13. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I can't even imagine it that cold.. burr. Just thinking of it makes me cold. Nope.. nada.. no way.. no how.

It's cold here too Deana.. but I'm sure not as cold as where you are. Sooo glad there's no kids on the ground here. I'd be in a mess of trouble. I have one due med Feb.. the rest the last week in Feb.

Rett

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

One year a buckling got out and bred two does. We had January babies. Since daddy was a Boer, the does got to raise them and I didn't have house babies. It was warm enough the week they were born that it worked out. This year we don't start kidding til March. It was cold here this morning and the critters had cold feet when they first went outside. First I thought Sammy, the dog had hurt his foot, but a few minutes later he was walking on it just fine. Then, Colette was lifting up one back foot as she ate her grain until it thawed a bit. My finger tips were getting cold when I fed hay. I was cursing the cold and wishing I was down south til I reminded myself we don't have the worm problems and cocci probems as bad as southerners do.

15. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Congrats on the kids, Lois! I'm obviously a little late. :) At least I won't wonder quite so much about my sanity when I got out to milk CC at -12 now that there's someone else doing it too. :p

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Yeah, it was -13 here this morning. I'm sure it'll wait to get colder for 2 more weeks when my first does are due :(

Tracy

17. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

OMG -13. :crazy I don't think I could find a bra with enough padding to allow me to go outside in that kind of weather.

18. Truly

Truly New Member

Christine, the goats don't care if you have NHO. :rofl

19. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

LOL, nope they don't care how you look! :) Or even if you are cold for that matter, lol. I generally don't even have a bra on for morning chores -- I just start with my pjs and start adding layers! My favorites are my insulated army pants. As long as your hands and ears are covered, you fare ok.

I dumped a half bucket of water down my jeans leg today while filling buckets -- it was in the teens, and I think it froze before I got back to the house!

20. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl Ok...ladies, you breed a doe in July, you get Dec. babies
    You breed a doe in August...you get Jan. babies
    You breed a doe in ................

:laughcry Doe in heat in August, I ignore her !!! 'Cause I KNOW I DON'T want to be out in the cold milking and taking care of babies! I'd rather watch growing bellies and wait until Feb. or later. Prefer later, but there's a class to fill. ;)
    Just fillin' you COLD broads in on gestation lengths! :rofl
    Kaye