this forum is invaluable

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sagerat, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sagerat

sagerat New Member

Thank you so much for this forum. I don't post much but I read constantly. And the information on this forum has been invaluable.

This is my 3 yr with goats and the other years kidding was uneventful. Easy deliveries. Healthy kids. This year we had 3 does due. The first doe delivered on a cold night and when we got to the barn her 2 kids were cold, wet, laying in the hay and unresponsive. So we rushed them into the house and, as I'd read on the forum, warmed them, tubed them, gave them BoSe. And they are now big healthy kids.

The second doe wasn't progressing so I went in and untangled triplets. I at least had an idea of what I was feeling for from reading all your experiences and knew from her getting up and down and bouncing around that something probably wasn't right.

The 3rd doe had her first kid relatively easy and then nothing. For two hours nothing and I knew there were at least 2 more in there. So after giving her calcium and then going in and untangling the other 3 kids. She now has healthy quads.

And last year these same 3 does had a total of 3 kids. Over the last year I changed my feeding program, supplements and shots from reading the advise on this forum and this year they had a total of 9 kids.

So thank you again for all your posts...train wrecks, experience and knowledge.

jo

2. Dawn

Dawn New Member

YES, this forum is GREAT!! THANKS everyone!!! Do you mind me asking you a question? I have had six does kid this year and three of them had singles, only one of them was a FF... So my question is what supplements and shots did you give them?
    Thanks
    Emily....

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BoSE is a great help if you give it to does prior to breeding and bucks prior to breeding 30days prior then the does get it again a wk or two prior to freshening.
    Yes I can't thank Vicki enough for this forum without it I would be lost. You always know you will get accurate info here and if by chance one of us screw up then Kaye or someone will follow up and set us straight.

4. sagerat

sagerat New Member

I give BoSe every 3 months and copper bolus every 6 months because we're in a very deficient area. During the winter months we give vit A & D paste every month. And we changed our minerals to Vigertone goat minerals. Not the best but the best I can find in this area. They get the prebreeding, prekidding CDT. The biggie was giving them 3 lbs each of alfalfa pellets a day.

5. joysmom

joysmom New Member

I agree. Thanks for posting as now I know I am not the only one having a wierd year what with FF's having triplets, having to go in and untangle kids, etc. :D

6. Chalk Creek

Chalk Creek New Member

I'd don't post much, either, but read this board daily. Wonderful folks who are so generous with their time and experience.
    :thankyou2

7. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes, this forum is invaluable... I first met Vicki on the homesteading today forum, she was wonderful in giving sound advice as were a couple of others that are on here today.. I don't know what I would have done without the help when I started in goats.. Still need help occasionally..
    Having this available when I get a sick goat is wonderful peace of mind because I know I can post here and get fast answers and help by phone if needed..
    Barbara