Thin yearling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, May 27, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have a yearling Nubian who is raising twin bucklings. She was wormed after she kidded and again last week. She is thinner than my other does and her coat is dry. I attribute that to birthing and then nursing twins. I know it is hard to put weight back on a doe who is milking, but I'd really like to see this young doe improve her condition. I will be hauling bucklings/wethers to the sale barn next Monday. I usually wait until they are at least 8 weeks old before hauling them. This doe's kids will just be a tad over 7 weeks old then. Do you folks think the doe would do better being milked twice a day rather than having those twins draining her milk 24/7? I've already been adding a handful of Milk Plus pellets and a little extra BOSS to her grain ration. Kathie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

In my opinion it is always harder on the does having kids on them especially bucks that ram the udder hard and nurse all the time. I would add beet pulp to her diet and lots of alfalfa pellets. but Nope your not going to get her back in great condition. maybe by adding smaller meals more times a day rather than just on the milk stand. have you copper bolused her What did you worm with?? How abt BoSE

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I haven't done copper bolus here yet. I worm with Ivermectin. It still works in this area. I haven't given her BoSe, but will give that a try. I'm also thinking of taking a fecal sample over to my friend's house. She knows how to do them and has the equipment. Kathie

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep do a fecal as that plain Ivermectin may not be working