thickness of colostrum and amt?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Melissa, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I have a doe that just kidded today. I have down that she wasn't due for another 6 days or so. kids are fully formed and hollering with gusto for their bottle (heat treating as we speak)
    well, the question is, the doe that kidded has colostrum that the thickness reminds me of something close to warm sour cream, I mean it's THICK.? and the amt, well, I think it *might* have been 1/4 cup. luckily I had some frozen from last yr. this doe gets alf. pellets and oats/corn/sunflower oil, really nice grass hay (I have no clue as of type but it's from our own field), and all the brows they can eat (right now that consists of grass and clover), and minerals. I'll try and milk more in a little bit, but I'm thinking since they are a little early her colostrum/milk hasn't come in yet.
    I was with this doe all day. checked her this morning, lig's were soft, but feelable, while cleaning out barn noticed some odd behavior that was a "red flag" so checked again. no lig's. she really wasn't dilated so didn't think it would be for a few hours... 1 hour later I was pulling kids. I even went in and checked for more! so proud of myself... :biggrin
    sorry for the long story. any ideas on the colostrum?

-Melissa

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

melissa, I had a doe that two years in a row had colostrum like Mozerella, I had sent her off farm for breeding and blamed that, and am NOT sending does off ever again for breeding. I treated her for staff and mastitis with out sending a sample, last year she did the same thing, it nearly broke my wrist getting the moz out of her! I tested the milk after the thick cheese was gone and it came back neg. this year I freshened her Last as I don't expect her to have colostrum and she freshed Normal with LOADS of colustrum.. I don't know why. but the breeder where they were left said Her dam did the same thing and they sold her at the auction. No answers other than I wonder if its some germ? bacteria? yeast?
    She should come into milk Normal for you after you get out all of the thick colostrom.

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

thanks Sherrie, she was bred at home so don't know if that's a factor. to top it off she's got teats the length and diameter of a small pinkie. ugh. this is her second freshening but I let her nurse her first kids so don't know/remember anything from last yr. I'm really hoping she has more milk/colostrum in the morning as I will have nothing to feed them! if no milk, do you think switching them over to cow milk this early would be okay? they'll only have about 10-11 oz. each if no milk in the morning.

-Melissa

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they need all the colostrum in the first 12 hrs but after that then yep you can switch to store bought whole cows milk just put a pinch of BS and a1/4 tea karo in the bottle or you might have constipation. But go with the goat's milk/colostrum as much as you can.

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Sondra, it's only 9:45 and I'm already almost out of milk (it was more like 12 oz each also). what should I do for the midnight feeding and in the morning (if the doe doesn't have any) I've just never had this problem before so don't know what to do. thanks for the help guys.

-Melissa