Thermometer

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

What type of thermomoter do you all use and reccomend? I understand that temperatures are taken via the rectum, what is the easiest way to do this. Must a goat be in a stantion? I would assume that like an infant, the thermometer must be held in place for a minute or two, how is this done with a 100# plus squirming goat.

Thanks in advance

2. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I just have a digital thermometer. With a 100 goats, I'd get the one that reads the quickest. I'm not real sure why you are taking all the goats temp? They don't have to be in a stand, you can do it alone, but much easier if in stand or w/ another person. Put some kind of KY Jelly on the end and it just slides into the rectum. I also like to use the thermometer covers. Just seems easier/cleaner for me. Make sure you hold on to the plastic as you pull out, if using covers.

Wendy

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks for the reply wendy I'm not taking the temp of 100 goats, rather I have a couple of bucks that are more than 100 # (pounds). I raise mini manchas or I acknowledge that they would be much larger.

Thanks!!

4. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Sorry! I missed that little # sign. Now I'm understanding much better. My stupidity actually gave me a little chuckle for the day. I still wish with 100 goats or 1 that I would have paid the extra money to get the thermometer that read the quickest. Most of mine, when they have temp, do stand still cuz they don't feel good. It's the other curious goats that can cause the problems. I think that "curious" goes without saying!!

Wendy

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use digital el cheapo's from drug store and the covers little dawn dish soap pour over the end if out of KY and I keep 3 or 4 of them around so if one breaks or batteries go I have a back up.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have my original vet thermometer in the case with the string that goes around your neck :) I haven't used it in years. There shouldn't be alot of temp taking in your herd. I prefer the old manuals so they are working with "live batteries" when you need it. Vicki

7. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

You can get a digital thermometer pretty cheap at WalMart. We have two. (The "Gee Mom, I don't know where it is" factor). They beep when they are done. We just use bag balm to lubricate the end. My vet spits and lets the spit hit the thermometer (I am not that good, so have just spit in the palm of my hand and wiped the end in the spit - I know, eww, yuck, but when I have a sick goat I don't have time to run to the Dairy barn when I am down at the Boer/hay barn). We don't take temps too often, but sure helps with diagnosis.

Personally, I'd rather see a high temp than a low one on an ill goat!

Camille