The very best yogurt starter ever!!!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Tim Pruitt, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Folks,
    I have found the best yogurt starter ever. It makes THICK creamy yogurt. I purchased at Walmart - a small tub of Stoneyfield Farm OIKOS oganic Greek vanilla or plain yogurt to use as a starter. A tablespoon or so added to a quart of milk does the trick!!! I did use pasteurized milk and added stevia instead of sugar and a dash of vanilla flavor. Try it - I hope you are as delighted as I am.

2. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

mmmmmmmm, sounds yummie Tim!

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH thanks Tim I bought some to make yogurt but then ended up eating the stuff instead of making yogurt. :)

4. Mad Helper

Mad Helper New Member

I am getting good at Kefir.
    How do I make yogurt?
    Take milk, add starter? That simple?
    Steve

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Steve yogurt likes temps at about 110 degrees and it take 8 to 10 hours. You can do this with an ice chest by putting the milk and starter (sugar and flavoring too if desired) in a sealed container and filling the ice chest to rim of the container with hot water of about 110 or a little more. OR you can put the dish on a heating pad and cover with towels. Any way to keep it warm. A couple of spoons of starter to a quart of milk and keeping it warm equals yogurt.

6. buckrun

buckrun New Member

That certainly is optimum temp for fast results but I just do it on the top shelf of the kitchen- in the low 80's up there and it takes longer but still does fine. I use the Bulgarian starter pack from Ricki's and keep a mother culture. Gets better with every batch.
    I always add sweetener or fruit or flavoring after it has firmed up for fear of freaking out the culture. Nice to know you can do it at the same time. Mixed in or just at the bottom? Thanks for that tip.
    Lee

7. Mad Helper

Mad Helper New Member

Thank you!!
    Got to try this out!
    Steve

8. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Lee,
    I add flavor and sweetner to the milk just before adding the culture.

9. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Where can I get the starter? I have the yogurt thing to plug in and it makes the yogurt. Never tried it..

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I add my sweetener and vanilla (and unflavored gelatin) when I start to heat up my milk. I find that the vanilla extract added later leaves a slight alcohol flavor in the yogurt and when I add it at the beginning, the alcohol has time to evaporate.

Holly, if you are just starting out, you can buy either plain or vanilla yogurt at the grocery store to use as a starter. Get the very latest expiration date you can find, and make sure it has live cultures in it. The more variety of cultures, the better it is for you. Once you find that you enjoy making it, you can buy cultures at places like www.dairyconnection.com or Ricki's...look for the link in the stickies under suppliers...I can't remember what it is off-hand. Also, if using storebought yogurt for your starter, do not open it until you are ready to use it and only use it once for that purpose...once you open it, there is the potential for contaminating the starter. There will be more yogurt than you need for starter, so just eat the rest. After that, you can use the yogurt that you make to be your starter for the next batch...just make sure that there's one container that you don't open until you are ready to use it for starter.

11. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Should I put yogurt that from the store and added in my milk in the yogurt machine thingy and let it go? Because I wanted to make strawberry yogurt so bad. Since I cannot have cows milk anymore. I dont know what happened to me. I was fine with cows milk but not anymore. It kills me bad.. Anyways. I can use frozen strawberries or fresh strawberries from my garden and crush it up and use regular sugar in the yogurt before put culture right???

12. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Holly,
    if you cannot have cow's milk at all (can you eat storebought cow's milk yogurt with no ill effects?) then you might want to go straight to buying the cultures, instead of using the storebought yogurt for starter. I wouldn't add the fruit until after it's set up, after incubating. Partly because I would be afraid it wouldn't set up, but also because the fruit will inevitably have some bacteria on it and you are going to be letting this sit out warmed up for extended periods of time, trying to encourage bacterial growth. You only want the good bacteria to grow, but if there's other bacteria in there, it's going to grow, too. Your yogurt machine should have some sort of instructions, I would think. But sugar, yes, you can add that before.

13. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Holly,
    You can add sugar, stevia, or other sweetners. While you can make yogurt with raw milk (the cleaner and fresher the better) - the best results will be from milk heated to at least 165 and then let it cool down to about 110 before adding the culture. The reason for this is because you want the yogart culture to be the only bacteria in the milk.
    You can use the yogart that I found at Walmart - just a spoon or two per quart. I am not kidding, the yogurt turned out firm with a nice texture and an excellent taste - no gelatin is needed.

14. Rose

Rose New Member

I agree with Tim - no thickeners, etc., needed.

I heat the milk to 145, hold for 20 minutes. Cool to 120, stir in yogurt culture or purchased unflavored yogurt. (Dannon, Yoplait, or other good brand)

Place in quart jars in a styrofoam ice chest with a heating pad set on low.

Should be done in 6 to 8 hours.

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I can't wait to try this!

16. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Well. I can eat yogurt from the store brought but it does bother me lil bit. If i eat ice cream from resturant and Oh it make me sick! But that is okay. I have the package of yogurt culture. I have to figure it out.. Thanks!!

17. chewie

chewie New Member

is the ice cream that makes you ill real or soft serve? i have no issues with cow's milk, but that soft serve gunk doesn't set will with me. the more 'real' i eat, the less my body seems to tolerate the fake stuff that is in soooo much of our foods today.

and thanks tim for the tip, i wanted to know about that adding sweetener part, and getting something to make a thicker yogurt sounds great! so then you just keep a small jar, and use that for your own mother culture for the next batch? will this 'mother culture' wear out after some time, or does it keep producing itself again? thank you

18. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Sounds wonderful Tim and I love yogurt ..... but I dont have any milk right now as I am back to buying store bought :(

19. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Chris, I have made yogart from the original container and it turned out well. Then I made a second batch just using the culture from the first batch. It is great. Now I have made my 3rd batch by using the culture from my 2nd batch - it is great! Thick and good - without any thickners.

I do add sugar or stevia - you could use artificial if you desire....

20. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

How much sugar do you use for a quart?